Intro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

g huns

Sep 26, 2008
Northern Indiana
Hi all been snooping around for a while, lots of great info. I currently just burn lots and lots of LP heating my 2000sq ft farm house so I've been looking into some alternatives. Not sure which direction I'll end up going but I'm sure I can get my questions answered here.

Welcome. You can certainly get your questions answered here. Pretty helpful crowd.

We'll even answer questions you don't ask and ask questions you may need to consider. :lol:

Welcome g huns, whatever you do make sure you burn wood. Dont be one of those guys that buys one of those pellet stoves. Those guys are weird. ;-P

Welcome to the forum g huns.

In your neck of the woods, the heating season is not too far away. Time to get that stove installed. However, before you do, please consider what you will be burning. Then determine if you can get some of that wood that is already seasoned to burn this year. And don't believe the wood sellers who all say their wood has been seasoned because most of it hasn't been.

Only after you consider your fuel source should you decide to install the stove. If you can't get the proper fuel for this season, then begin at once to plan for next season. In other words, get out there this winter to cut wood for next winter's use. Cut it, split it and stack it. Then leave it to season until the following fall. Leave the pile uncovered until fall or early winter then cover only the top of the stack.

Hope this helps.

I have at least 5 or 6 cords we cut last year, depending on how much my little brother sold. I have been looking at boilers like Greenwood and Seton. Greenwood has a dealer pretty close to me. I also though about a used older unit. There was an 80's vintage Tarm on ebay last week that was $1000 and didn't sell. I know the newer stuff is sooooo much more efficient, but at 7x the cost, I can afford to burn a lot more wood. I have a large garage that's attached to the house by a breeze way. So that's probably where I'll put it. I do have a masonry chimney from the old coal furnace, right in the middle of the house, but the wife can't get excited about having something in the basement.

Greetings. If it's boilers you are interested in, the better place to post is in the boiler room (on this site). Note, I believe that the boiler will not be legal to put in the garage unless a separate room is built there to house it.

I can move this thread to the boiler room for you or you can start a new post there. Let me know what you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.