Introducing myself

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Schneider

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2012
Southbury, CT
Hi everyone,
I recently joined the forum, and I thought that rather than lurking I would just get the introductions done.
I started using my first pellet stove last fall (2011) just after the October Ice storm that had us without power and, therefore, without heat for a week.
That storm also convinced me that I needed a heating source that was independent of the power grid. So now I have a Mt Vernon AE with direct 12V battery backup and an inverter so that my wife can restart the stove after it does a clean cycle. I have a small solar panel to maintain the battery, but I don't expect it will be able to restore the charge during our gloomy New England winter days.
I was so pleased with the Mt Vernon that I decided that my workshop, which needed a source of heat, should have a pellet stove as well. I bought a badly abused England PDVC-25 and restored it to working condition. Considering the original cost and the repair parts that it needed, I only spent $400 on the stove itself. The parts for venting ran me another $125 (I love Ebay). I fired it up last week for the first indoor run and aside for having to adjust the starter position it runs well.
My experience with pellets has been limited. My first season I started out with Inferno and was very disappointed with the heat output of the Mt Vernon. When those ran out I tried some Lignetics. Heat output was much better and I was of a mind to stay with them for this year. Things don't always happen the way we expect and I eventually acquired four tons of Green Team. This was a bit of a gamble, but I think that I did okay.
My oil dealer is still wondering what I am doing for heat. Last winter was mild, but I kept the house warmer than I used to (I retired, so I am at home most of the time now). I spent about $500 on pellets and my oil bill went down by $1400 for the year. With the second pellet stove I expect to do even better this year. I know it is early in the season, but this is New England and night temperatures have been getting down into the 40's. So far the oil thermostat for the first floor of the house has remained off and the second floor is only on in the morning to take the chill off. The basement stove hasn't been needed yet.

Well, that in a nutshell is my experience with pellet stoves.

Harvey

Added images

IMG_1689.JPGIMG_1695.JPG

Welcome Harvey , And thanks for the intro.

I don't know much about your stoves ,but from your intro you sound like a handy guy who can handle any issues that should arise. Green Teams are one of the more highly prized Big Box pellets you done well my friend.
Welcome and Happy Burning!

Will

Welcome, Harvey! Good to have you on board. You'll find this to be a friendly, kinda crazy bunch of folks. And a very knowledge bunch as well! We think you'll like the Greene Teams :)

Welcome to the forum.....nice choice in a used stove, and a great price. The Greene teams are real good pellet....you'll like them.

Enjoy the heat!

Hi Harvey, I'm almost right down the street from you (Middlebury). I am on my 12 or 13 season burning pellets! I had electric heat in an old drafty house so pellets saved me a lot of money.
I burn mostly softwood pellets now and I really like the heat output.

I think the quality of pellets make a big difference. When I saved a few bucks and got cheaper brand my stove would get dirty quickly. Then you lose a lot of BTUs. I found that I would get sick of cleaning it so I would let it go longer in between cleanings losing more efficiency ! I believe a reasonable priced quality pellet saves you money ( especially if you factor in human nature)! ;)
Hope to talk to you soon
Paul

Welcome, the Quad is a good stove, enjoy the warmth.

Welcome. I own both the stoves you do, except a bit older.

Welcome.

welcome, you will enjoy it here lots of great folks.

Welcome Harvey! Enjoy the heat and all the good stuff that goes on here! Lots of great people and information right here! :)

Welcome. I own both the stoves you do, except a bit older.

Lets just hope he doesn't act like you ;) J/K

Harvey, Welcome to the Forums. That Mt. Vernon is a very nice stove. Feed it good pellets and the Oil man may disappear forever! Infernos are notorious for being a bad pellet. Tue GT's are far better. If you get a chance to buy a bag of a different brand, here and there, try to do so. Some pellets are considerably hotter than others!

Reactions: smoke show
Hi Harv. I tried once but my computer did not work well. I have found soft wood pellets are hotter. If you have a choice get them. The glass will darken sooner but for me I dont care. keep your burn pot clean and clean your exit pipe often. I take a shop vac with a hepa filter and clean the exit pipe often. If your stove can breath it is a happy stove. keep the burn pot clean and be sure the exit is clean. Every so often make sure the convection blower, room blower is clear from dust, pet hair. My f st year with a pellet stove sold me. saves me a fortune in Saudi oil. I have been there. Cool But dont want to live there. ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.