IR Therms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramcononer

Nov 17, 2011
Long Island, NY
Whats the consensus? Should I just get an IR Gun and forget the stove top magnetic type? Do I "need" both??

I use both, I have a bad habit of leaving the IR gun elsewhere in the house or garage, so now I gotta chase that down. I do use it from time to time to get a exact temp. on my stove, but for the most part my thermometer on top is about 50 degrees off so I just take that into calculation.

If the IR gun is going to stay near the stove then you can live with that.

They are both tools. You can use 1, or both, or even throw in a flue gas thermo too.. it's all up toyou how much geeky info you need to run YOUR stove.

But honestly MILLIONS of people use wood heat to keep from freezing to death every year, without the use of any of them.

2 of my brothers, my dad, and a real good buddy here.. about 100 years of wood stove running between them. Not one thermometer anywhere.

Me, 3 years.. three thermometers.

Dakotas Dad said:
They are both tools. You can use 1, or both, or even throw in a flue gas thermo too.. it's all up toyou how much geeky info you need to run YOUR stove.

But honestly MILLIONS of people use wood heat to keep from freezing to death every year, without the use of any of them.

2 of my brothers, my dad, and a real good buddy here.. about 100 years of wood stove running between them. Not one thermometer anywhere.

Me, 3 years.. three thermometers.

I am a numbers guy and Highly analytical...I need a thermometer.
I like set rules or consistencies..once I find my operating procedure, I would like to Load at 275-315, cut air back at 500...etc etc..

Plus its another toy to play with...I can come into the bedroom...shoot the wife with the IR Laser and say, YEP...you're ready!!

2 different Condar thermometers and a cheap IR gun. Not once have I seen them all agree :(

I think I read (on here?) that even IR guns can be off because they are calibrated to read a certain surface and changes to the color and reflectivity (ie. polished metal vs. flat paint) change the reading?

Although we have the IR gun, we still use the two thermometers (condar) on the stove. I take the battery out of the IR when not using it and only occasionally put that battery back in. Just see no need to use that constantly.

I mostly use my magnetic stove thermo and heavily use my probe thermo for my double wall flue . . . I do however also use the IR thermo from time to time when I want to check other parts of the stove, hearth, surrounding area, etc.

jharkin said:
2 different Condar thermometers and a cheap IR gun. Not once have I seen them all agree :(

I think I read (on here?) that even IR guns can be off because they are calibrated to read a certain surface and changes to the color and reflectivity (ie. polished metal vs. flat paint) change the reading?

That's correct. The emissivity of the surface will affect the temp reading. The shiny griddle in the center of the Rangeley never reads the same as the surrounding cast iron (flat black) but the Condar (on the griddle) and the IR gun (aimed at the flat black) are usually close if not dead on.

Status
Not open for further replies.