is a hearth rug a hearth extender?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are worried about the "gap" issue, you could just put a line of mortar between your hearth extension and existing hearth. Then it is just as continuous as your existing brick hearth. :coolsmile:

Huh. Interesting conversation. My hearth is flush with the floor and that makes my extension options a little different, the insert sits on the hearth and fireplace floor and if I raised the hearth or stove any, it would violate my clearances for the mantel and etc. So, I put a hearth extender down in front of the stove, overlapping my flush hearth and touching the front of the stove. The board gets (temporarily) fixed in place so it doesn't slide around and there's no gap, there's actually an overlap, so I feel confident that I have met all the requirements in my manual. The only other thing I could do possibly do to extend the hearth would involve cutting out hardwood floor and wood subfloor, and notching the joints etc all to end up with a hearth that would not match the appearance of the current one. (the current one is thick tile/brick that goes down into sort of a cantilever under the floor, it's not tile on top of the hardwood). That is an expensive and not truly necessary modification! So, at least in my case, the stove board extender is what meets the ember protection requirements for a non-combustible 18" in front. I guess I can screw it down instead of using the temporary adhesive though.

I just researched the manual for the Jotul F500 Oslo and it states...

"Individual sections of floor protection must be mortared together to prevent sparks from falling through to combustible materials. Any carpeting must be removed from under the floor protection"

The manual also indicates a "minimum" of 18 inches of noncombustible surface to the front of (the front loading door) and to the side of the (side loading door).

Your stove manual may indicate something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.