Is a T6 too large for 1100 sqft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwill

Hearth Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
W. MI
Was calling around on pricing a Super 27 and one of the stores offered me a floor model T6 for $1800 or about the same price as the super 27 I had spec'd out. Tempting... but will it run me out of the room? I checked the CtoC and it would fit in my alcove. house is 1100sqft ranch, 2 bedroom, open kitchen/living room, decent windows and LOTS of insulation in the ceiling.

I think that stove will roast you! If you want to see a pretty fire, you should size the stove pretty closely to your square footage. I would go alittle bigger than is recommended, but the T-6 is rated for what, twice the area you have? Our Jotul was oversized for our last house and in order to have a pretty fire and a clean burn we had to open windows, even on the coldest days.

webby3650 said:
I think that stove will roast you! If you want to see a pretty fire, you should size the stove pretty closely to your square footage. I would go alittle bigger than is recommended, but the T-6 is rated for what, twice the area you have? Our Jotul was oversized for our last house and in order to have a pretty fire and a clean burn we had to open windows, even on the coldest days.

yeah.. that is the problem with going too big.

It's not like motorcycles.. there really is a too big.

Yes, a T5 would work, but the T6 will be pushing it.

I heat 1632 sq. ft. with a T-5 and I have to run with less than full loads or it will cook me out unless very cold out.. I still get long burn times with a partial load too.. You may be better off with a cat stove if you want a large stove or perhaps a T-4 would be a better fit in a home that size.. I would imagine an 8 hr. burn would be possible in a T-4 with a load of hardwood like oak.. Hope a T-4 owner chimes in on this..

Ray

pretty much what i figured. Too bad. $1000 off a Demo/floor model sounds like a good deal, and who doesn't like the look of the T6!. Think Ill stick with the Super 27. Seems like the spring deals are about to start, the few shops I called all are very willing to haggle over prices. Just on the phone I got one place to drop $300 on a 27 with ash pan and legs.

I think you are right. Wait a week or two and you may be able to get a T5? It's worth calling around for to see if someone has a floor model.

I looked at the alcove thread (very nice) and how it is constructed with may allow for the t-6 but would probably agree, with the others. Unless there are raised or cathedral ceilings in the ranch , then I would think you could get away with it.

My t-6 heats 3300 of cathedral ceilinged/whole wall of windows/ and 6 sliding glass doors -- fine down when the nights are in the 20's days low 30's. But with high winds and temps in the teens, typically the heat zones in the far bedrooms will come on at times.

I have no problems burning smaller loads of two or three splits when I don't need the full capacity. And this weird yr, the wood stove has pretty much heated everything except the hot water.

I took the deal on a floor model Summit Classic a few years ago, and heat an open floor plan with 10 foot high ceilings. I heat approximately 1600 square feet that are relatively well insulated and sealed. I rarely think it is too hot, and have never had to open a window to cool the house down. I also never actually load the stove clear full unless it will be colder than 20 F. The ten foot ceilings make a huge difference though. I can use the speed of my ceiling fans to either circulate the air well, or I can let the hot air pool at the ceiling and allow me to be comfortable down low. With traditional 8 foot ceilings it would probably be way too hot.

A T-4 is a Vista with a cast iron jacket. Nice stove, but you'll never get an 8 hour burn out of it, even with oak. Might have enough coals in the morning to reload, but actual useful heating time is about 6 hours max.

Speaking from experience, if the stove is big enough for long burns, you won't be able to run the stove like it's designed to. With 1100 sq.feet open floor plan and great insulation, you won't need a huge stove. I enjoy watching the fire and I love clean glass, this something you might only be able to enjoy on the coldest days if you over size the stove too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.