Is any action needed to protectr my chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have a brick inside chimney with 3 flues . One is for oil furnace, one is for wood burning insert and one is inactive from the basement. The house is 40 y old. My mortar chimney cap has some cracks that was repaired before by previous owner . I don't know what material he used for it. I can see some new hairline cracks on it that is not repaired. Chimney itself seems ok, no cracks etc.
I never dealt with chimneys before. Is there anything I can do to prevent further damage? I'm thinking about sealing the mortar cap to prevent water seeping or something like it. Any expert opinion is greatly appreciated .
Pics in a next post.

Is any action needed to protectr my chimney? Is any action needed to protectr my chimney? Is any action needed to protectr my chimney?

Attachments

• Is any action needed to protectr my chimney?
    image.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like you need a new crown. Crown seal or something like it may work for a while but i would rather see a real poured crown up there to protect the chimney

What is involved in redoing the crown? I understand I'm gonna need to remove all this mortar and pour the new mix.
Is it possible to do without professional help? I used to be siding and carpentry contractor but never dealt with big mortar jobs.

You can pour a new crown over the existing one. It honestly isn't a tough job and shouldn't be expensive to pay someone to do it.

I can see it's doable, but it's getting cold here in northeast and lot of other projects going on now.
What is the best way to seal it meanwhile. I was just patching my roof with Henry from home depot
http://www.homedepot.com/s/henry%20wet%20roof%20patch?NCNI-5
Is there some kind of special product for this kind of job?

I can see it's doable, but it's getting cold here in northeast and lot of other projects going on now.
What is the best way to seal it meanwhile. I was just patching my roof with Henry from home depot
http://www.homedepot.com/s/henry%20wet%20roof%20patch?NCNI-5
Is there some kind of special product for this kind of job?
Honestly if you are planning on a crown next year just caulk the cracks it will last till the spring

Reactions: claydogg84
Just caulk it and replace it next year like bholler said. A bad crown can destroy the chimney if bad enough.

Search YouTube, there are a lot of good videos. I did mine a few years ago. Build a form around the top and make the crown wider than the brick and it will help save the rest of the chimney. You have all winter to do your research.

If you choose to replace the crown you need to remove the old one first. Pouring over is bad for a few reasons, 1, if it needs replaced it's likely unstable, 2, you won't be able to get the new cement crown thick enough without covering your flue tiles.
Cement, yes use pea gravel cement mix not mortar. Mason's use mortar because they have it, but as you see it doesn't hold up. Frame it up in such a way that it will have an overhang.

From what I see though a crown coat is what you need. The stuff is pretty amazing as long as the crown is stable. Seal up all the cracks with an elastomeric sealant before you apply.

Make sure to also coat the first row of bricks too. Typically the bond is broke between the crown and first row and that where most of the water infiltration takes place.

Attachments

image.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 156
    image.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 175
    image.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 149
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 141
Thanks, Webby3650,BrotherBart. They have water repellant to put on a chimney as well. Would you do it?

I have never been happy with crown coat It never seems to last long at all. And the 10 yr warantee is a joke. If it doesn't stick they say the crown was unfit to coat or you didn't prep well enough ect ect. It has its place but that crown already has at least one crack that goes down into a brick below it. You need a new crown. Sealer will be a short term band aid.

They have water repellant to put on a chimney as well. Would you do it?
Fix the problems with the masonry and there will be no reason at all to water proof it and unless the cracks are fixed the water proofing will do nothing at all

I completely disagree. I've had very good success with the product. If done properly it's all that crown needs from what the pictures show.

I completely disagree. I've had very good success with the product. If done properly it's all that crown needs from what the pictures show.
I know some guys like it allot but i also know many that have had the same experiences as me. How long do yours typically last the longest i have gotten is 5 years but most were only 2 or 3. Now the only time i use it it when i am going to install a multi flue cap over the whole top and there are small cracks in the crown underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.