Is it bad to run until empty hopper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superglyde

Sep 19, 2013
I'm leaving for a week and wanted to pack the hopper of my 52i full to set it at 65 and at least get two days without the heat pump sucking down electricity. Will that hurt the stove or just shut off everything when cooled down? I did a test today while at church but when I came home the combustion fan was on still and all the lights.

It won't hurt it. It is designed to work that way. When the fire goes out, the stove fans cool things down down and stops.

Dave

Running it out wont hurt the stove at all. The exhaust fan will run until the stove is cooled down enough and has sucked out the smoke from anything smoldering

May even burn off any carbon build up on the auger :)

Sounds like a great time to give the hopper a quick vacuuming.

Only additional thing to consider is setting the tstat even lower while you're gone.

I run my stove to empty after pushing 15 bags or so through to suck out all the fines. Stove shuts down when the flame dies out and temperature cools off - Pretty fun watching the fire show inside when it starts to really send the fines through.

Mine runs out often because the P68 is a pellet pig. In all fairness, I run it high because it's in the basement and I'm trying to use it as my primary heat source.

But there shouldn't be any problems letting it run out. Well there could be one - the wifey yelling at you cause it's cold.

Mine runs out often because the P68 is a pellet pig. In all fairness, I run it high because it's in the basement and I'm trying to use it as my primary heat source.

But there shouldn't be any problems letting it run out. Well there could be one - the wifey yelling at you cause it's cold.

Cold house= unhappy wife. Not worth the hassle.

Reactions: bdaoust
Status
Not open for further replies.