Is it legal to import a stove from Europe that is not EPA certified?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
I recall that you can't sell or distribute a new uncertified stove, but can you import and install one in your own home. This person wants to import a gorgeous, high-end, new Hase German stove for her home in South Carolina. She's German, so she really wants to follow the law, and does not want problems with the code inspector when she has her new house inspected. I told her most inspectors (not to disparage South Carolina code inspectors) couldn't tell an EPA certified stove from a grapefruit, and would at best only look at clearances, floor protectiopn and how it goes through the ceiling. She is having a CSIA professional do it, and will need to make sure they can adapt the European pipe size to American sizes. Anyone know about this?

Don't know about imported items, but when I installed my pellet and wood stoves, they wanted the spec sheet of both models when I submitted for the permit. I don't believe they cared about the EPA cert, but they inspected the clearances to a tee.

Way back, up to 50 stoves (from a manufacturer, etc.) was OK by EPA....that is, the standards didn't apply to one or few of a kind just for this type of situation.

So my answer would be yes. EPA and other such regs are for the masses of equipment (IMHO).

I don't think you'd have any problem in most places by presenting the manufacturers specs or going by NFPA, etc.....not much different than importing a quilt, a piece of furniture, that coffee maker you found in Italy, etc.

Again, I think standards apply mostly to manufacturing...and in quantity.

An awful lot of stove are " foreign" when ya get right down to it. I would think, considering Europe as a Whole that the particulate emissions are at or below our current EPA regs. Jotul is a "foreign stove" it's just they have dealers here and have been submitted for certification. Other than the hassle of getting through customs and the various permits and taxes should be like any other domestically sold stove imported by a dealer.
technically if it hasn't been submitted for testing it would be classified as exempt, but depending on your local or state codes may not be installable with that rating. Referencing areas like Commiefornia or Washington state

Last edited:
An awful lot of stove are " foreign" when ya get right down to it. I would think, considering Europe as a Whole that the particulate emissions are at or below our current EPA regs. Jotul is a "foreign stove" it's just they have dealers here. Other than the hassle of getting through customs and the various permits and taxes should be like any other domestically sold stove imported by a dealer.
Jotul tested their stoves to US EPA standards, so perhaps not a good comparison.

There are a few separate issues, as I see it:

1. Emissions regulations, EPA standards, what the OP addresses.
2. Safety regulations, eg. UL testing.
3. Insurance issues, to be discussed with your homeowner's insurance co.

There could be issues with the INSTALLATION of a non-epa stove. Double check the local regulations and maybe even with the Ins Co. that will be covering the house.

There are a few separate issues, as I see it:

1. Emissions regulations, EPA standards, what the OP addresses.
2. Safety regulations, eg. UL testing.
3. Insurance issues, to be discussed with your homeowner's insurance co.

To my mind, these are listed in order of increasing importance. I can't see that a code inspector or insurance company would give a hoot about emissions regulations or EPA standards, except in jurisdictions where local/state law addresses those directly. Federal law would seem to only apply to taxes/duties or other issues involving importation, possesion and commercial resale, and not to installation.

Insurance companies usually want appliances professionally installed, following all manufacturer specifications and requirements (stove AND liner) as well as any local codes and inspection requirements. I would expect since this stove is new and has listed clearances, it would be an easier pass than some antique parlor stove found in a barn (which I imagine would be subject to NFPA standards and local inspection, but not as likely to get insurance company approval).

Insurance companies may sometime want a UL-listed stove, and a German version of that approval may be unwelcome. Wouldn't that be the main potential hurdle here, what the insurer wants? My impression of the attitude of some building inspectors and fire chiefs (name of town withheld!) is, "Oh, putting in a stove? Go for it!" The insurance agents are the ones dotting the i's.

Reactions: jendad
John I thought you and Dupree over at the EPA came down hard on this practice with the Masport stoves from New Zealand?

Massport stoves are back on Craigslist. I generally think the rules against selling uncertified stoves are good and was surprised they guy selling the Massport ones could be so open about it. He either has a lot of them, or they are selling slow.

I built my house in SC 4 years ago. The inspector wanted the install directions to make sure the clearances were okay and he made me add a fresh air vent in the wall. Unless the laws have changed and they know how to check I don't see the EPA issue being a problem.

Very surprised to hear an inspector made you put in a fresh air supply. I rarely hear that. I'm sure there are threads about that topic. I usually tell folks that unless you have a super tight house, outside air is usually not necessary. But I saw that Maine is now requiring it as part of their rebate program, even though its only a $250 rebate.

I think that the lack of a ul listing plate and ul specified clearances would be the problem. I agree most inspectors and insurers don't know or care if the stove is epa tested but they are going to want to see the ul plate. you can stilluse a non ul tested stove at least here in pa but you need 36" to combustibles. and many insurance companies wont write off on a non ul stove

Status
Not open for further replies.