Is it possible to put OAK in after install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Craft

Jul 2, 2012
Nome, Alaska
I already have my pellet stove installed and am just thinking of installing an oak this summer if it is not that much of an issue. I am happy right now this winter cause the pellet stove is keeping my moisture down. In the past before the pellet stove my HRV could not keep up with the moisture in house in winter, and windows would have moisture on bottom. Or my HRV would freeze up like a popcicle.

If I do install an OAK I am guessing that my moisture content might come back is that right? Or will having the heat from the stove keep the moisure down? Thanks Jay

Most people are running humidifiers because the stoves dry the air so much. This applies to OAKed and unOAKed (non-OAKed?) stoves.

Moisture will always be a problem. But an OAK will help with heating.

Can be done after install. Using Quads kit, its just another small hole in the wall.

Any hot air heater will tend to dry the air.... If its surface temp exceeds 212 , moisture will tend to boil out of the air.

Do you make this stuff up by yourself or do you have someone help you?

Look, you said "Any hot air heater will tend to dry the air.... If its surface temp exceeds 212 , moisture will tend to boil out of the air" and I asked if you make this stuff up. Air has moisture in it in varying amounts. How much moisture air can hold is dependant on the air temperature. Cold winter air is naturally dry.Twenty degree outside air has very little moisture in it. Bring it inside to a heated space and there are even less moisture as it expands.Hot water baseboard and radiators don't induce much air movement so there isn't as much evaporation of available moisture.

i oaked up halfway through last winter.
used a 4 inch hole saw outside and a smaller one inside.
kit came with a nice black ring to cover from the inside. siliconed behind that

Status
Not open for further replies.