1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is it safer, better to install using a T or is vertically ok?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by kh395269, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kh395269

kh395269 New Member

Loc:
    CT
    I have an insert that allows for both options. Are there any benefits of one type of installation over the other? Thanks, Kim

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kh395269

kh395269 New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Sorry, my pellet insert stove allows me to switch the exhaust pipe from a horizontal venting to a vertical venting. I can do either, though I would have to cut the pipe some to use the T connecter horizontally. I'm asking if it is better to install with the T connector with clean-out, or is just as sufficient to simply connect the 4" flex chimney pipe to by 3-4" adapter right to the stove and vent vertically. Thanks, Kim
  3. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    I'd go with a cleanout T and vent all the way up the chimney.
    My free standing stove is set up this way and makes it very
    simple to clean the pipe. Imo the easier it is to maintain, the more
    likely people will do it. Just my 2c.
  4. Jims

Jims New Member

Loc:
    Portland, Oregon
    I would also like to know the answer to your question.

What I can say is my dealer/installer did not use a clean out tee when he installed my stove last September. He just connected the 3" pipe directly to the back of my insert. When I questioned him about not installing a tee, he told me that a tee would not fit my stove properly causing smoke to leak out. I have since learned that a tee costs well over $50, so I am sure he was just trying to save money on the install (I negotiated an all inclusive price for the stove and installation).

I burned a little over 2 tons of pellets last winter. When I cleaned the stove to get ready for this year I dumped less than a cup of fly ash out of the vent pipe. So it would appear that not having a tee (at least as far as clean out is concerned) is no big deal.
  5. Mr Whitfield

Mr Whitfield Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Cailfornia
    I would go with the Tee, It makes for easy cleaning...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.