Is it the stove or the fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steved123

Jan 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I just installed a Summer's Heat 50-SNC13P stove. I bought three tons of Ecobrix. I am trying to use these as I had no seasoned cord wood. I'm getting a quick fire after spending a long time > 1/2 hour trying to light the stove. When I do get a fire it is finished in two hours and then I can have an ash bed that throws little heat for over ten hours. Is it the fuel or the stove. There are no draft problems. I'm thinking of getting a couple of bundles of firewood to see if it's the stove or the fuel. I'd appreciate and comments on this.

s0055d said:
I just installed a Summer's Heat 50-SNC13P stove. I bought three tons of Ecobrix. I am trying to use these as I had no seasoned cord wood. I'm getting a quick fire after spending a long time > 1/2 hour trying to light the stove. When I do get a fire it is finished in two hours and then I can have an ash bed that throws little heat for over ten hours. Is it the fuel or the stove. There are no draft problems. I'm think of getting a couple of bundles of firewood to see if it's the stove or the fuel. I'd appreciate andy comments on this.

I have no experience with the Ecobrix, but I do have a lot of experience with crappy burns. Definitely run out and buy a bundle or three of kiln dried wood from the supermarket. I don't know if you have Giant Supermarkets by you, but they have been running a sale on their bundled wood at $3.99 a bundle.

See what it does. At least you will have something to go by if the bundled wood burns well.

Status
Not open for further replies.