Is it worth spending a little more?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young_Buck

Jan 19, 2013
Vermont
Hello folks,

I've been looking for a new stove for quite some time now. Quick description of my setup - 1200 sq ft rancher, stove is in the partially finished basement - total sq. ft. is about 2400 sq. ft.

I've been looking for a modern stove that will provide good heat, somewhat long burns and will be hopefully as reliable as possible. My budget - right around 2k.

I've been looking at Drolets (Myriad or HT2000) or the NC 30 by Englander. Both are fine stoves based on what I have read and would probably suit my needs just fine.

I have located a Pacific Energy dealer that is local (20 mins down the road). From what I have read/heard they are good folks to deal with. He has quoted me a Summit for $2095. (Plus I see that PE is currently offering a rebate program on all stoves and inserts, $200 on the Summit).

My question - Is it worth spending a little more on the PE Summit? Or, would the Drolet or Englander give me what I need for about half the cost?

As always, thanks for your input and help.

-YB

All are solid stoves that will do the job. The Summit's baffle system is a lot less fragile and the series B EBT looks like a better system to deal with a large secondary outgassing. The Summit is a fully jacketed stove that will have closer clearances and an easier hearth design. I haven't burned them side by side, but I would guess the 30NC is a more radiant stove vs the Summit's convective design. We have lots of satisfied Englander owners here that work with this stove. There are few complaints about it. The stove is a respectable big heater that presents a very good value. Ultimately it depends on what you like the most.

All are solid stoves that will do the job. The Summit's baffle system is a lot less fragile and the series B EBT looks like a better system to deal with a large secondary outgassing. The Summit is a fully jacketed stove that will have closer clearances and an easier hearth design. I haven't burned them side by side, but I would guess the 30NC is a more radiant stove vs the Summit's convective design. We have lots of satisfied Englander owners here that work with this stove. There are few complaints about it. The stove is a respectable big heater that presents a very good value. Ultimately it depends on what you like the most.
Would the OP have better luck heating from the basement with a convective design?

Is the difference between the old and new EBT explained somewhere or are you basing this statement on something else?

That's a good question. We have folks here using both to heat from basements. All of the heat that is felt upstairs from the basement is convected.

There are a few threads on the new EBT but the best explanation is probably Tom's:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hoebt.htm

Reactions: Woody Stover
My question - Is it worth spending a little more on the PE Summit? Or, would the Drolet or Englander give me what I need for about half the cost?

I am pretty sure they would all heat your house just fine. The Summit may last a bit longer, may give you a slightly better efficiency (maybe a 1/4 cord less per winter), may be a bit easier to regulate but in principle all will work out well for you. If you are short on cash right now and don't have a particular preference for looks I would take the cheaper one. If in a few years you decide you want to "upgrade" you can still sell the stove for about half price and get something nice; maybe even better (looking) than the Summit. Englander's customer service is also great (and Mike is member here) so no need to worry there either.

Welcome to the forum Young Buck.

You are from Vermont. Why not take a short drive some day and visit the Woodstock factory. It used to be located in Woodstock, VT but is now just across the border in West Lebanon, NH. Look especially at the Progress Hybrid. That will heat a large space and give you good burn times and clean burning also.

Forgot to add, you asked if it is worth spending a little more? Most definitely it is.

Maybe check this one out; a used Drolet Myriad for $400: http://burlington.craigslist.org/hsh/4008774002.html

If that stove is still ok I would invest the hour, drive over and snap it up. Use it a few years and if you don't like it anymore, sell it for almost the same amount and get something nicer.

That's a good question. We have folks here using both to heat from basements. All of the heat that is felt upstairs from the basement is convected.

There are a few threads on the new EBT but the best explanation is probably Tom's:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hoebt.htm
I find that interesting, they say you can have a low setting and not worry about the issues normaly related to low settings, I think if I lower the primary air setting too low on my older summit the flue temp is too low for my liking or am I missing something? I am talking about the part of the burn where the secondary burn is going on.

Flue temp too low for one's liking and a clean burn are somewhat different things. The new series B EBT is acting like a barometric damper on the secondary intake. When there is a large bloom of secondary gas the EBT opens wide to facilitate a clean burn. When the secondary draw is low, like during the coaling stage, the EBT close and minimal secondary air is pulled through the secondary intake, helping extend the burn.

Too low for my liking means TOO low for a clean burn, the two are related intimately.

Perhaps I didn't explain this clearly enough. The EBT operation is independent of the primary air control operation. The operator controls the primary and can set it wherever it's comfortable. The EBT just controls the secondary air volume.

Perhaps I didn't explain this clearly enough. The EBT operation is independent of the primary air control operation. The operator controls the primary and can set it wherever it's comfortable. The EBT just controls the secondary air volume.
No I think you did fine, the new system adds air to the secondary but the old system did not.

Too low for my liking means TOO low for a clean burn, the two are related intimately.

As far as I know during the coaling stage very little particulates are generated anymore. Hence, you have a "smoldering" fire but still a clean burn.

As far as I know during the coaling stage very little particulates are generated anymore. Hence, you have a "smoldering" fire but still a clean burn.
We are talking about the secondary burn time.

Status
Not open for further replies.