Is My Chimney Supported by the Firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

best2171

Oct 12, 2018
Eugene,OR
I am just getting started on a fireplace remodel and am removing the facing brick. I found that my firebox has a rust hole in it (we had used the fireplace last winter!). It looks like the chimney is supported by masonry around the left, right, and rear of the firebox but the only support on the front would have been the big globs of mortar between the facing brick and the firebox. Is it "normal" to have the chimney supported by the firebox itself? I have put up an album with a few started pics in it and since I am new I am not sure if it is better to post a few pics here or just refer folks over to the album. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Clay liners are typically not supported by a metal firebox no. But that doesn't mean yours isnt. What are your plans after you remove the metal?

I want to have a standard firebox put in, either masonry or prefab metal. We use this fireplace for enjoyment and not for heating, we maybe have 6 fires a year in it. My goals are a greatly reduced overall footprint and updated looks. Are there any indicators that I can look for that would tell me if I remove the existing firebox the whole thing would collapse? I have already had a mason out to look at it and bid the job. He mentioned that one or two pieces of all-thread fashioned into expandable supports would be okay to support the front but he really didn't seem concerned about collapse. I don't know if I was able to explain very well how far I wanted to take the brick down. I am debating on just letting the mason do the work, but if I can reduce the 5k price tag that would be ideal. Thanks for the response!!

I want to have a standard firebox put in, either masonry or prefab metal. We use this fireplace for enjoyment and not for heating, we maybe have 6 fires a year in it. My goals are a greatly reduced overall footprint and updated looks. Are there any indicators that I can look for that would tell me if I remove the existing firebox the whole thing would collapse? I have already had a mason out to look at it and bid the job. He mentioned that one or two pieces of all-thread fashioned into expandable supports would be okay to support the front but he really didn't seem concerned about collapse. I don't know if I was able to explain very well how far I wanted to take the brick down. I am debating on just letting the mason do the work, but if I can reduce the 5k price tag that would be ideal. Thanks for the response!!
I seriously doubt it is supported by the metal. If you can see that it is supported on 3 sides you are fine.