Is my wife right ... again?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MouuntGileadGuy

Jan 16, 2024
Ohio
We use our stove nonstop in the winter, and 'monitor' the stove temp with a (cheap IMHO) Imperial thermometer.

We place it on the top flat surface in the back left corner.

My wife (probably wisely) gets concerned when the temp reaches 550ish.

Two questions:
  1. Should the thermometer be on the top flat surface or the stack?
  2. Is 550ish getting too hot, and liable over time to end up damaging it?
  3. Thanks in advance

Thermometer.png

This is a stove top thermometer. The less expensive ones are often innaccurate. What stove is this for?

Jotul recommends the thermometer be placed at the left or right side of the stove top in the manual.
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 9.45.52 AM.png

Condar makes a better, calibrated stovetop thermometer.
ReoTemp makes a nice clean unit. One member has reported his glass yellowing. Ours so far has not.
Amazon product ASIN B07MLDNW1W

Keep it under 700º. 550-650º is normal cruising temp.

Reactions: kborndale
Thanks!

Any other suggestions regarding a reliable thermometer? I'm seriously considering begreen's recommendation f a Condar or ReoTemp.

Thanks!

Any other suggestions regarding a reliable thermometer? I'm seriously considering begreen's recommendation f a Condar or ReoTemp.
I purchased a midwest hearth stove top thermometer. It's accurate to about 25 degrees when the stove is cruising around 500-550 which for my little stove is where it should be. But anything above that and below that range by a greater degree and thermometer can be off by as much as 100 degrees when I check with my fluke laser thermometer. I'll probably go to the dark side though and get a dual probe digital setup to monitor my cat and flue temps here at some point once I stop spending money on a new kitchen.

I can see why your wife zero’s in on 550. I think that scale is misleading. Our inferno shows red at 100 deg higher. The pic isn’t as clear as I hoped. It’s pointing under 600 and runs at or close to my Etekcity gun readings. Mine gets moved around a lot as it gets in the way of cooking. My 2 cents.

1DD5A3DC-0CAD-4FEE-A66F-0131C0002316.jpeg

I have the F500(non-cat). I believe the instructions said stove top should be 400-600 degrees. We keep our stove top thermometer on the lower right hand corner on top of the stove. I also use a digital infrared thermometer gun.

I am like your wife. i start getting nervous when stove top gets over 500. Im always afraid it will get over 600 and somehow destroy the stove.

Keep it under 700º. 550-650º is normal cruising temp.
So it is ok for stove top temps to be up to 700 on a jotul F500(non cat)? It wont damage the stove? Not that I would run my stove at 700 stovetop but it would ease my mind when the stove top starts approaching 600.

Yes, an occasional foray to that temp is ok.