Is my wood dry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
For 2 seasons, I am experimenting with the stack kiln, works great. Short drying time.
This year, I tried something different. My wood shed is facing 100% South, I wrapped 6 mil plastic around the front and the 2 sides. Leaving the back open to "breath".
Filled with Red Oak, cut/split last year (2018). Filled the Avalon Rainier with 8 rounds (3-4 inches or so) on a short bed of coals. Caught fire immediately. No sizzling. After 15 minutes cut down the air completely and looked at secondaries for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Does that say the wood is dry?

Yes. I would say so

Filled with Red Oak, cut/split last year (2018). Filled the Avalon Rainier with 8 rounds (3-4 inches or so) on a short bed of coals. Caught fire immediately. No sizzling. After 15 minutes cut down the air completely and looked at secondaries for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Does that say the wood is dry?
I would say that that is exactly what it says, if I do say so myself...but who's to say? ;)
Say, I think I have about fifteen or twenty aluminum storm windows around here somewhere..I wonder if that's enough to build me a mini-kiln? What say you? ==c

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink