Is running 50% corn and 50% pellets worth the hassle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08specB

Mar 31, 2014
Ellington, CT
I showed my in-laws the Harman DVD they give you with your stove purchase last night. The mix between corn and pellets interested them. Do many people run this mixture? Is it worth it or more of a hassle than its worth?

Jay

I checked around a little bit and corn is more expensive than pellets around here.

Reactions: 08specB
Corn is worth it if you live in the mid west and can get it cheap.... around NE, probably not very viable for price reasons alone.

it's 'acidic' to an extent too, so you need rated exhaust piping to burn it, and it will eat away at stuff internally, so longevity is a concern of your hardware.

Reactions: 08specB
CBT for corn today 3.64. Local elevator 3.21.
Harvest is way behind and now having issues getting diesel and propane.
I got my corn for about $130 ton in July and with a warmer than usual October will have enough fuel for a good start on next years heating fuel supply.

I showed my in-laws the Harman DVD they give you with your stove purchase last night. The mix between corn and pellets interested them. Do many people run this mixture? Is it worth it or more of a hassle than its worth?

Jay
In Wisconsin. In early Oct. I brought home a gravity box about 175 bu, of nice dry corn out of a farmers storage bin. I paid him 4 buck a bu. It was more than market but very clean and dry. Bu, of corn weighs 56 lbs. I can burn it straight in my magnum 3500, I do add a few pellets to make the clinker a little softer. Don't know about other stoves.

My stove can handle a 50 - 50 mix of pellets and corn.

Jay
not an option Im interested in. too many variables. corn quality, pellet quality, timing for cleaning etc.... KISS rule on fuel for me.

In Wisconsin. In early Oct. I brought home a gravity box about 175 bu, of nice dry corn out of a farmers storage bin. I paid him 4 buck a bu. It was more than market but very clean and dry. Bu, of corn weighs 56 lbs. I can burn it straight in my magnum 3500, I do add a few pellets to make the clinker a little softer. Don't know about other stoves.
You can add oyster shells at about a good handful per bucket of corn to keep the stirrer and pot cleaner. I add a quart of pellets to a bucket of corn in the Bixby to keep the biscuit soft for the auto clean cleaver.
I run all the corn through a screen to keep fines to a minimum. Good feed for the horse and pheasants.

Status
Not open for further replies.