Is russian olive any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Sep 8, 2006
Is russian olive and locust good firewood? how does it compare to elm, oak or walnut.

I know Russion olive as a shrub generally not reaching more than 10 to 15' high. I've never come across any to burn and would think you would be hard pressed to get anything larger than 2" diam if that. Locust, and I mean black locust though there are ornamental varieties such as golden locust, is an awesome firewood, right up there with sugar maple, oak, black birch, and hickory in it's heat output. You need a fairly hot fire to get it burning but it will burn for a long time and coal well too.

Just checked out this web site on Russian olive. http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/elan1.htm. Interesting that its a nitrogen fixer because black locust is too. Also Black locust is prohibited for sale or planting in some states such as Massachusettes because it too is considered invasive.

I remember having a Russian olive tree when I was a kid - this was a HUGE tree! I realize the shrub may be out there - but there definitely is a large tree version!

Status
Not open for further replies.