Is suppose to be Maple but is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
I found a Craigslisting last night. It said Maple, but it looks a like like Honey Locust bark. I know one thing its HEAVY and SOLID. I think I picked up some this stuff last year, the bark is real similar. It was in a high class neighbor hood.

52d23fbc.jpg

901b5b3b.jpg

d6b4f5e9.jpg

Looks like that could be Maple.....it's not Locust.

I'm going to split this afternoon. But that one with all the bark still on looked a little like Locust. I'm thinking thats its all from one tree, but could be a limb from another tree too. I know one thing my back didn't like a couple of those rounds. I had to basically use another to platform them into the back of the truck. I'm curious as to this stuff.

End grain and color makes me think H. Maple, would look more like s. maple. Little bit out of typical H. maple range, that may explain bark apperance. For sure it is not Honey locust. Pehaps some type of ornamental maple?

I'd say Maple. Bit on the orange side with the very beginnings of Spalting, and the early morning sun making it look even more orange ;-)

Looks like a good size maple.

I say maple as well and have found maple to be some of the heaviest, water holdingest wood I have ever moved around when green. Like water flowing out of the leaner stump, not dripping, flowing. Amazing, considering how light it gets when dry.

I vote maple

No doubt maple. If it is like the maple I scrounged last summer, it will be a bear to split some pieces. Mine was so bad I left the balance of the tree on the ground rather than return for it. I am a scrounger that has never done that before or since, except for a small section of elm that had tree stand spikes all over it.

Looks like maple to me too.

I cast my vote with the "maple" folks.

Silver right?

mywaynow said:
No doubt maple. If it is like the maple I scrounged last summer, it will be a bear to split some pieces. Mine was so bad I left the balance of the tree on the ground rather than return for it. I am a scrounger that has never done that before or since, except for a small section of elm that had tree stand spikes all over it.

Yes, it probably would have been a bear to split, but Hydraulics help out a lot. I'll be interested in how it dries out, it did have moisture in it. But the wood itself was pretty tight and dense it seemed.

My 28 ton splitter broke up the logs I had, but it took 4 times longer to deal with the twisted pieces that were breaking off the logs. No kidding, I really considered leaving the stuff I humped to the wood pile in log form and burning it as campfire wood. Hope your dealing with different stuff. I had only 5 large rounds to do. There were another 10 at my disposal, but I was predisposed to avoiding them.

mywaynow said:
My 28 ton splitter broke up the logs I had, but it took 4 times longer to deal with the twisted pieces that were breaking off the logs. No kidding, I really considered leaving the stuff I humped to the wood pile in log form and burning it as campfire wood. Hope your dealing with different stuff. I had only 5 large rounds to do. There were another 10 at my disposal, but I was predisposed to avoiding them.

One of my last maple scores was a craiglist listing in another town. When I got there all that was left were huge rounds and crotches. I dumped them on the far side of the yard from the splitter, and for the most part, they were too big to be moved again. Took six months, but I gradually split every piece with the fiskars.

Status
Not open for further replies.