Is sweeping once a month excessive for your first year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jbrown56 said:
Favre made swiss cheese of the Patriot's secondary in OT Thursday night. :-/
Farve may be the king, but we got the Cassel. At least he got us to OT.

Sorry, the thread has changed to losing your star QB if you're a GB or NE fan...
Is weeping once a month excessive for your first year?

ikessky said:
I figured since this is my first year of burning, I would sweep the liner once a month to keep an eye on things. Is this excessive/anal retentive? The roof is easy to get on and the liner is only about 18', so it shouldn't take very long.

Hey...sorry about screwing with your post by bringing Favre into this! I just couldn't resist the fact that you and the first responder are from Wisconsin! :) I hope you ultimately got adequate and constructive answers to your question.
kev

No worries here! I did get the answer I was looking for. I also got some of the good natured humor I've come to enjoy from this site also. %-P

I'd say from past experience clean once a month the first two months until you get an idea of how much buildup you are getting. I find burning western softwoods and based on the type of wood I'm currently on my cleaning needs vary.

At the beginning of each season I burn pine with small fires and slower burns. I usually have to sweep the chimney once before December. Once I transition into Red Fir seasoned a year or more my needed sweeping frequency depends entirely on my rain cap screen which is 2-3 months. The chimney at that point stays clean, the cap does not.

I climbed up today since I had a few minutes and checked out the liner. Hardly anything worth fussing over inside. Nothing even remotely close to the 1/8" or whatever they suggest sweeping at. I think I'll wait another few weeks to a month before I sweep it out.

My next question comes from the rain cap though. I understand that this is where the condensation is mainly going to happen, so I wasn't surprised to find a coating of tarry goo on it. I brought my propane torch with me and tried to light it off, but the stuff just bubbled and dried out. It never started on fire. Well, I also noticed that the condensation drips from the rain cap onto the top plate and onto the crown of the existing masonary chimney. Is there anything short of removing the rain cap that will help this out? Two of the four sides of the crown are now black because of it.

ikessky said:
...I was surprise to find a coating of tarry goo on it. I brought my propane torch with me and tried to light it off, but the stuff just bubbled and dried out. It never started on fire.
Creosote goes through several stages before it becomes a menace. The tar dries, curls, and some of it drops down to where it may accumulate and ignite. The subsequent rush of heat then causes more to dry, curl, and adds to the fuel source. You cannot recreate this with a small hand propane torch.

I should have typed "I wasn't surprised" to see the tarry goo. Now I'm faced with what to do about it dripping off the rain cap and down the masonary. Maybe a smaller cap would take care of it. I have to buy a new one anyway. I broke the one I have trying to "adjust" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.