Is the air flammable?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
WOW, I feel "blonde" :rolleyes: asking this, but would rather be safe than sorry. I just painted a open rafter type ceiling, with alkyd paint. It reeks in here. Is it ok for me to burn in my wood stove, which is a few feet away?

Just thinking about how legally you can't have a wood stove in a garage, where paint is stored...maybe I'm over thinking this lol

Last edited:
alkyd is oil based and the fumes are flammable of the concentration is high enough.

Thank you. So not as dumb of a question.

I'm airing the house out now. Any idea if I should be good in a few hours?

I can't answer that one. I'd let it dry and air out good. But I'm overly cautious.

You would need a huge concentration and air and fuel would have to be exact.. i have sprayed truck frames, washed parts with a varsol air blower, among other flammable solvents with the wood stove running in the shop..

Crack a few windows and turn on the heat... no different then the gas furnace running

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

You would need a huge concentration and air and fuel would have to be exact.. i have sprayed truck frames, washed parts with a varsol air blower, among other flammable solvents with the wood stove running in the shop..

Crack a few windows and turn on the heat... no different then the gas furnace running

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yes it would need to be just the right concentration. But what happens if you hit that point? It just isn't worth taking the chance to me.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Any idea as to how long I should wait before firing up the stove?

I painted about 50 square feet, and had fans on, then opened the door for about 30 min after painting. This paint is dry to touch in 30 min, and re-coat in 2 hours. It's now been 3 hours since I stopped painting.

Your fine, burn away, if you were remotely close to the lel (lower explosive level) of fumes you would be passed out due to concentration of it.

Is that a sasquatch in your avatar photo?

Update: Started the stove this morning (have back up furnace), and didn't blow up...15 min in so far! Yay for not blowing up! haha :)

Reactions: Mech e
Its good you asked the question. I think I read a story where a guy blew up his car due a combination of an open flame and Axe body spray ;)

Problem is that the fumes being sucked in and burnt in the stove are converted to a corrosive vapor. Short term it wont hurt but that is the reason that furnace heat exchangers rotted out fast in industrial environments. Your thick steel stove will take it short term.