Is there a difference between white or grey gaskets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
See title.
Thanks!

The gray gaskets contain graphite to keep them from sticking to the front of the stove when they are new or the paint on the stove is new. Also in theory it reduces friction that wears out gaskets. I just don't know too many places on a wood stove where gasket friction is an issue.

Can I use the grey gaskets to replace in white gaskets inside the stove?

Shouldn't be a problem. What gaskets inside the stove? A bigger issue is density of the gaskets. They make'em in low, medium and high density. But nobody seems to know that or label them that way. Every replacement gasket I have ever seen at hardware stores etc. are the low density ones.

I need to replace the flue gasket and trying to decide if I should replace the gaskets attached to the refractory support brackets on a VC dutchwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.