Is there a stove that thinks it's an open fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonC

Oct 20, 2013
Somerset
Hi

I've got a large (20x30) room that needs a large fireplace. I would have preferred a big open fire but flue may not be big enough and I don't want loads of ventilation holes. The fire would go in a sort of inglenook space. Instead of a normal woodburning stove, is there a fireplace type of thing that is not so enclosed as a stove? I know you could have the doors open, but I'm after a bit more of a fireplace feel. I have looked into Jetmaster Universal 850, which seems great, but has to be built in and looks a bit like a black hole when not being used.

Does anyone make a sort of firebox/stove without doors which would work with a 10" flue?

Many thanks

They make a great fireplace with a glass door that lowers out of the top, making it a very efficient wood heater. I just cant remember the name of it. Ill try to look it up. Some other members here may know what im talking about.

Hi Simon,
There are at least 2 products out there that meet your requirements. Check out the Valcourt Frontenac, or the Rennaissance Rumford fireplaces. They both have guillitene style glass doors that slide up out of the way and look just like a fireplace. You can also burn them with the glass door in place for more efficiency. Good luck on your search.
Cheers,
Greg

Thats it the
Rennaissance Rumford fireplaces.
Nice units but, they may be pricey

Status
Not open for further replies.