Is There an Insert With an Thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, great to hear your update, and hear that it is working well.

I just noticed this thread...

Yes, SmartStove is my product. I developed this starting in 2004 and reached the point in 2010 when I could consider the development completed. The intent has always been to get it integrated into the stove at the manufacturer. In Oct 2010 I visited about 8 different stove manufacturers to get that started. Two purchased evaluation systems, but none as of yet have made the decision to integrate the system. After wearing myself out chasing companies, I've been laying low, and shipping systems to individuals to find my site and demonstrate the fortitude to go through the mechanical work to retrofit their stove. I have figured that it would be good to quietly build an install base to establish a reputation and work out any subtle bugs. To date, SmartStove is running on these stoves throughout the USA: Earth stove, Englander 13, Napoleon 1401, Napoleon 1402, Hampton HI300, Sierra 8000, Regency ZC insert. The system is reliable and repeatable and people using it rarely bother me with any issues.

Hey, can this product be installed on an Osburn 2400i? How complicated is the install? Thanks.

Hi Kidd,
How difficult is it to put SmartStove on an Obsurn 2400i? That's a great question, but one that you'll have to answer yourself. I'm not going to retrofit this to your stove, you must do that part. So, the difficulty is as much dependent upon your skills and access to tools as it is to the specific stove.

Questions you need to ask:
1. How much friction is there in the existing draft control? How difficult would it be to eliminate that friction?
2. Is the draft control port available, or is it permanently welded inside somewhere? (This is the case with the Hampton HI300). Access to this port can be important if you have to rework it to reduce friction. I solved that problem by some significant surgery, seen here: http://inveninc.com/SmartStoveForum/index.php?topic=19.0
3. Is there a location where you can hide a couple small electronic modules and isolate them from heat?
4. Is there a location where you can mount a small actuator and provide a linkage that ties it into the existing draft control?

I will be adding two additional threads to the InvenInc.com forum, for the Napoleon 1402 and for the Englander 13NC. The Napoleon is one of the easiest, the Hampton was one of the most difficult.

Happy New Year!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.