Is there something I should know about these HUD wood stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joe the Goat

Oct 4, 2016
Arkansas
Hi Guys; I bought and installed a mobile-home approved, 1,200square foot stove last year. (New installation where one didn't exist.) Pleasant Hearth Model HWS-224172MH

I know it has been a cold winter, but this thing just doesn't seem to produce much heat. It's as if it doesn't allow the heat from the firebox into the room, unless I have the front door open.

Is it a function of being a smaller stove (it is fully loaded with three pieces of wood), or special glass in the door, or what?

It's my only source of heat, and the wife ain't happy having to constantly babysit it to get the room to the mid-sixties. I'm willing to swap it out.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys; I bought and installed a mobile-home approved, 1,200square foot stove last year. (New installation where one didn't exist.) Model HWS-224172MH

I know it has been a cold winter, but this thing just doesn't seem to produce much heat. It's as if it doesn't allow the heat from the firebox into the room, unless I have the front door open.

Is it a function of being a smaller stove (it is fully loaded with three pieces of wood), or special glass in the door, or what?

It's my only source of heat, and the wife ain't happy having to constantly babysit it to get the room to the mid-sixties. I'm willing to swap it out.

Thanks

Looks like a very small stove, Any idea of the firebox size, I don't see it on the specs sheet. How tall is your stovepipe/ chimney?

Whats the moisture content of your fire wood?

fully loaded with 3 pieces of wood isnt putting out much heat then. Sounds like your expecting too much from a small stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a very small stove, Any idea of the firebox size, I don't see it on the specs sheet. How tall is your stovepipe/ chimney?

Firebox is 18"Wx10"Dx10"H, with the opening a little smaller...

The combined height of stovepipe and chimney is almost 12'....It's got great draft. Has the fresh-air intake piped in.

if you are filling it with three pieces of wood those are large pieces. Are you splitting them in half and measuring the moisture content on the fresh split face?

Have you tried to split the wood smaller in attempt to fit more in the firebox?

What is the stove top temp? If the stove top temp is in the normal range (say 400-600F depending on the stove) and the room is still cold then the stove is too small for the space or the house is letting in too much cold air.

If the stop top temp is low (less than 400F) even with a full fire going then your wood is either too wet or a variety that doesn't put out much heat.

Try splitting the wood into smaller pieces and grab a stovetop thermometer if you haven't already (the one I use is linked).

if you are filling it with three pieces of wood those are large pieces. Are you splitting them in half and measuring the moisture content on the fresh split face?

Have you tried to split the wood smaller in attempt to fit more in the firebox?

Well, I did take a sampling from the stack (three pieces, split, measure), but I don't check every one. I'll check more frequently...

No, I haven't....I will try. Thanks!

What is the stove top temp? If the stove top temp is in the normal range (say 400-600F depending on the stove) and the room is still cold then the stove is too small for the space or the house is letting in too much cold air.

If the stop top temp is low (less than 400F) even with a full fire going then your wood is either too wet or a variety that doesn't put out much heat.

Try splitting the wood into smaller pieces and grab a stovetop thermometer if you haven't already (the one I use is linked).

Excellent, thanks...I'll pick it up.
In the meantime, tonight, I will split more. <crosses fingers>