Is this a good deal for kindling??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like small branches, around 2-3" diameter. What you need for kindling is split wood in the 2-3" range or less. Actually, at our home, I have what seems to be an endless supply of 'noodles' that work really, really well. (I had some very large rounds of maple that were too big to lift into our splitter. We laid the rounds on their side with bark side down and then chainsawed the rounds into quarters. Chainsawing in this direction of the grain doesn't create sawdust, it creates 'noodles'. Wonderful fire starting stuff!)

Shari

ksting said:

No...

Why buy kindling? You could probably walk around the yard and fill 5 boxes up and get the yard cleaned up at the same time. If your yard isn't big enough to get enough ask your neighbor if you can pick up his/hers too. I'm sure they would be happy and maybe even help you!

Bubbavh said:
ksting said:

No...

Why buy kindling? You could probably walk around the yard and fill 5 boxes up and get the yard cleaned up at the same time. If your yard isn't big enough to get enough ask your neighbor if you can pick up his/hers too. I'm sure they would be happy and maybe even help you!

+1

Hurricane said:
Bubbavh said:
ksting said:

No...

+1
+1 and if you need more info? https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41784/ shouldnt need to buy it!

OMG! I've been throwing money away. Stuff like that usually ends up on my brush pile.

How many Super Cedars can you buy for $20?

Round stuff with bark on it isn't really the best for kin'lin. Better to have splintered wood with thin edges.

i usually leave that stuff in the woods!

anything round is not great for kindling... the bark is harder to light than raw wood is.

see if you can get ahold of some 2x4's or pallets for kindling.

CowboyAndy said:
see if you can get ahold of some 2x4's or pallets for kindling.

Like these? I got your kindling right here...

pallets_1.jpg

These suckers are made of some kind of tough-as-iron-heavy-as-lead hardwood. I haven't burned any yet, but I'm hoping that dry as it is that it will still last a while in the firebox.

My father gives me stuff like that off of his property all the time for kinding and I know most of those small rounds burn like (insert explicative here). I just really wanted to know if anyone thought that was worth $20. ;)

ksting said:
. I just really wanted to know if anyone thought that was worth $20. ;)

No

HTH,
Matt

Another no vote here.

If you get stuff from your father, why pay for it? I walk around the property and find dried out branches that fall from mostly oak trees. Here's last years round piles that took a few days to process. These are great to pack a stove, but useless as kindling.

Attachments

• small rounds 1.JPG
    small rounds 1.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 334
  • small rounds 2.JPG
    small rounds 2.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 329
And yet another vote for no . . . I could understand paying for firewood, but not kindling -- it's way too easy to get kindling from splitter trash, branches, pallets or to even make kindling out of a split. OK, I'll back up a bit . . . going with something like Super Cedars as a fire starter is about the only thing I would buy -- I certainly would not buy a bunch of branches.

stejus said:
If you get stuff from your father, why pay for it? I walk around the property and find dried out branches that fall from mostly oak trees. Here's last years round piles that took a few days to process. These are great to pack a stove, but useless as kindling.

Again, I just really wanted to know if anyone thought it was worth $20. I never said I was gonna buy the stuff. Was just curious what people thought.

ksting said:
My father gives me stuff like that off of his property all the time for kinding and I know most of those small rounds burn like (insert explicative here). I just really wanted to know if anyone thought that was worth $20. ;)

not to mention, the smaller the diameter of something unsplit, the longer it will take to dry. i have some less than 2" branches, about 18" that were cut in june of last year that still sizzle and bubble.

ksting said:
Is that you trying to sell it on CL?

2 Things:

1. Am am totally going to start selling dead branches in a box for 15 bucks each.

2. I was amazed at how little kindling I needed in my first year of burning.

Well, maybe.....

Nope, it's still No.

Matt

Only if you are paying $600 a face (1/3) cord for wood. Take some of your stuff and split it that small and under-cut them by 50% if you are industrious you can soon start your own business. Soon somebody is liable to start selling grass clippings as pre-compressed compost starter. They probably deserve an "A" for ingenuity though.

I get that much in oak branches in my yard whenever the wind blows.

LLigetfa said:
ksting said:
Is that you trying to sell it on CL?

No way! LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.