Is this a good price for used Heritage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Downeasta

Feb 16, 2011
Eastern Maine
New to this forum but am enjoying reading all the tips, suggestions and discussions. We have an opportunity to purchase a used Heritage Hearthstone for $1650.00. Think it might be a 2007 model but was used for only 2 heating seasons. Due to personal circumstances the person needs to sell. I know a new one runs between $2700 and $3000. Is this a good price for a used Heritage and would you buy used or new? Thanks for all your responses.

Good price if it's in good shape. Check for broken stones, warped castings, and check the condition of the baffle. If all looks good, get it.

Baffle has just been replaced. I honestly have not seen it, but have seen pictures. Have spoken with the owner and get a good feeling from them that they are honest. Says nothing is wrong with it. Going through some personal changes and cannot burn wood any longer. They say it is in"new condition".

Considering there still will be some form of a tax credit this year $300-500, as well as a current Hearthstone sale of $200 off, I would value a used Heritage at $1100-$1200 in flat black. Maybe $200 more in enamel. Keep in mind, with the current sale going on and the tax credit, you may be able to pick up an overstocked new Heritage in the $2100-$2200 net cost new. You would then have a new stove warranty, etc.

We can't participate in the tax credit under the present guidelines. Have checked around with the Hearthstone dealers and their prices (on sale) range from $2700 to $3000. Didn't ask how long the warranty is extended to the original owner. Are their particular issues that people have with the Heritage that I would need to be concerned with warranty work? It is a flat black - so your Franks, your thinking that $1650.00 is too much, even if it is in good shape?

Downeasta said:
Baffle has just been replaced. I honestly have not seen it, but have seen pictures. Have spoken with the owner and get a good feeling from them that they are honest. Says nothing is wrong with it. Going through some personal changes and cannot burn wood any longer. They say it is in"new condition".
I dont know experience with that stove but why would the baffle be replaced after 2 burning years? Is that normal or did they have to replace it because it was overfired?

My understanding is that it was replaced for "aesthetic" reasons. It's a woman who is selling this stove. She is living alone now and it's easier for her to deal with a pellet stove instead of wood. Says there is not a thing wrong with it.

Downeasta said:

If it is a 2007 and it needs a new baffle I would have to question what type of shape it is in.

I got mine for $1,000 in perfect condition, but I got lucky.

Just spoke with the owner again and she assures me there was nothing wrong with it. Guess I'll just have to go look at it. She has all the original paperwork and has not had any warranty or other issues with it. Appreciate everyone's input as I really am new to all this.

It is super easy to break a baffle. So often on this forum the weak ceramic baffles are pointed out as a weakness. Could have been the chimney sweep or a hard log toss. You won't burn out a baffle from overfire. Don't worry about that.

The point of weakness on this stove and my personal peeve is the latch mechanism for the loading doors. The door frame has a slot machined into it that is very weak looking and appears prone to wear. Check that it looks solid and hope for the best.

My heritage was bought for 1900$ brand new sometime around 2007 from a dealership. The seller is trying to get most of her investment back. Ask her what she paid and maybe do 50%.

Look for cracked stones as evidence of overfire.

Thank you Highbeam for your informatioin. Living in rural Maine poses a problem finding dealers for just about anything. Wood stoves are no exception. Have spoken with 3 dealers of Hearthstone from Midcoast to Northern Maine. Sale prices are $2800.00 to $3000.00 at this time. This lady paid $3000.00 for her stove when new. All the dealers tell me that her asking price is good. Kind of surprised me as thought they would urge me to purchase new, but they all said they would take that deal. Hope I don't know something they do about these stoves that they feel they will get more $ from me out of warranty. Will keep an eye out for latch issues with the doors.

Well, husband and went to look at the used Heritage and bought it. Looked great and hardly used. Was even better than I expected! Will be a bit prior to hooking it up as it's going in a camp that we can't get to at the moment due to snow. Thanks for all you help and suggestions.

Funny! I had composed a post suggesting that you dicker with her, and went down to check the fire, came back and saw you'd bought the thing. Congrats--I predict that you're going to love the stove, with a caveat. If you come in to your camp and the stove is -20, along with everything else in there, you're going to want to go very, very slowly in bringing it up to temp, and expect it to take quite awhile to start producing useful heat.

you got a good deal, enjoy the stove and hope all goes well with the install. pete

Sounds like you got a sweet deal. Congratulations. Take some shots of your new baby when it is hooked up and warming the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.