Is this from an ESP probe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
My Harman Accentra insert has been burning real low in the burnpot, and I have been getting a lazy flame as soon as the ash piles up covering all the burnpot holes. It seems to be putting out good heat as long as I pull the ash off the burnpot holes. It has been like this all season. I did a full cleaning including the flue and combustion fan at the end of last season, and have been cleaning out the front (everything that I can without pulling it out). once a week all season. I did not pull the ESP probe at the end of the season last year. I just reached in and wiped it off. Could the lazy flame issue I have been having be the ESP probe, or could it be my combustion fan (which has been a little louder this year).

how about the air pathways TO the combustion fan, especially the left one (facing the stove)? When you clan it, does it completely swallow the brush, or just maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of it?

Yes I do them weekly, and the left one does have a lot of ash in it, but I et the brush all the way in until there is no handle left.

A lazy flame is an indication of poor combustion. Nothing to do with the ESP in my opinion. When was the last time you pulled the machine out of the cage and did a good cleaning on the pipe? Does the pipe go all the way to the top of the chimney? Do you have a chimney cap? A good little trick I have learned over the years for cleaning the left side exhaust port is when you think you have the brush all the way through, take a flashlight and shine it into the right side port, you should see the end of the brush in there if you have gone far enough. If your draft level is to low then it is going to start tripping the vacuum switch and it may skip some of the feed cycles or just stop feeding all together.

I think I am going to have the dealer out to check it out. I know I am getting the brush all the way in, but maybe my combustion fan is starting to give out. It sounds a little fluttery. I also seemed to use a lot of fuel this year, almost 6 tons.

Also the flame is good once i pull all the ash off the holes at the front of the burnpot, but as soon as some ash builds up, it gets lazy

Maybe, but this happened even after I cleaned it last year. I am going to do it again, and check the bearings, and the impeller blades before calling out the service guy

Status
Not open for further replies.