Is this good,bad,average

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
KY
I added 4, 1/4 size splits to my fire which was burning good at around 10 pm. Got up at 6 and still had some small flames but mostly coals and ash. Didn't add any more wood as no one was going to be home and still not comfortable enough with it yet to leave it. Got home around 6 pm and still had red coals in ashes after stirring them around. Still did not add wood as we had soccer that night and, again, did not want to leave it burning unattended. Got home around 11 pm and still had red hot coals in the ashes after stirring the ashes around a bit. That's about 25 hours with enough hot coals to start another fire if I had wanted. I shut the air down to nearly closed around 11 pm the first night after adding the wood. Is this about right for a 2.6 cu ft insert with so so wood?

Thanks,
Rob

Nah, it's terrible. Get another stove - NOT. J/K :) Sounds great.

Too good to believe. But I'm from NY.

Sounds too good to believe to me too, but then I'm a softwood burner.
You gota be burning dry oak or something harder, cause the best I could do with my pine and a 10 PM stoking is to get enough hot coals to start another fire at 6 AM. By 8 or 9 AM I'll be using kindling to get it going again.

If you count enough-coals-to-start-a-fire-with-just-splits, I've gone 13hrs with mine (only because I was out for the day). Definitely could have gone a couple more hours.

Peter 13 hours - 25 hours. I want some of that wood.

Quit smoldering that wood. :coolsmirk:

That sounds very good. Even with the Mansfield we burn in our showroom, after about 15 hours or so, I need to rekindle the fire. Not enough coals left for restarting splits without a lot of drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.