1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

is this good chimney liner pipe???

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by gsxr1216, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsxr1216

gsxr1216 New Member

getting ready to install a newer fireplace insert in my fireplace, the new one uses 6" VS the 8" of my current one.

anyway i did a little surfing on EBAY and found what looks to be like a good deal on 25' of pipe but me being the skeptic when it comes to good prices figured i would make sure this is indeed good pipe at a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...00031118775&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

anyway i was figuring on running a small section of ventinox ovalized SS flexible stove pipe to get up through my damper then have a round to oval adpater to fit the 25' of pipe shown in the link above to run to the top of my chimney.

would this be a good setup and legal??

thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I don't know about the legality of the setup, but the liner kit in the picture is the same TCE kit I bought from a different eBay seller and got a good 316ti kit with Warnack Hersey certification included. Has to be the same one because TCE holds the patent on the cap connector and the tee connector method. I bought mine from these guys and highly recommend them. They will send an insert adapter instead of a tee if you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260034834318

Here is the manufacturer's web site.

http://www.tce.ca/

On my installation in the fireplace I just cut out the damper frame with a hacksaw and went round all the way up. If you go to sell the house and want it to be a fireplace again just pull the liner and put a top mount damper on the chimney for a hundred bucks.
  3. gsxr1216

gsxr1216 New Member

thanks for the info, i would have to measure mine but it looks like it could be a tight fit even without the damper frame?? it would for sure be more cost effective if i could go round the whole way.

how hard is the frame to get out, mine looks like its concreted right into the fireplace brick???
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Mine did too. That is why I circled around it for fifteen years. When I finally said the heck with it, it is coming out and started cutting, I found that it was only mortored in on the ends.

I bought Sawzall metal blades and messed with that. I put a metal blade in my sabre saw and messed with that. Finally I just grabbed a hacksaw and it was out of there in nothing flat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.