Is this guy talking about us?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CountryGal said:
As a former single mother who was on welfare once in my life, thank you for making that point.
Yes, and I am grateful to the State of California that I was able to have 2 cancer surgeries paid by the taxpayers.

Glad you are healthy now CountryGal, great attitude gal!

Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. there are 3 other vehichles in the driveway/garage. The Volvo is currently suffereing a transmission issue so technically I have a broken down vehichle in the yard. I dropped out of college. THREE TIMES....I'm an over achiever. I own more than 1 non pedigree dog. I have a burn barrel in the back yard although I only allow brush to go into it. I have a trailer parked next to my garage that for the last year has been full of debris from renovation work here. not the same debris but almost constantly full. Sometimes my house is run down. I do most of my own work so it takes longer to fix things. I havn't been called a hillbilly but I have been called a redneck. When those I truly respect say that I am somewhat flattered.what the heck....he may very well be talking about me. I can't take a swipe at him for being Canadian. When I was in the Army I met some Canadians who I thought were top notch. This guy sounds more French Canadian. perhaps if he could kick back by a nice fire he wouldn't be so uptight. I don't suppose he left a return address. I'd like to know what he paid in heating costs last year. :) I haven't smoked a cigarette in a while but I might be willing to kick back with this guy and have a cigar. I'll be the wood heat Ambassador of goodwill.

Willhound said:
castiron said:
thechimneysweep said:
Elsewhere in the diatribe he mentions he's from Canada.

Ah....Canada...... "an empty apartment above a large party....."

Remember.....We're bigger, and we're on top. If this was prison, you'd be our B!%(# ;-P

Actually, maybe it's an irate American posing as a Canadian? Sort of like Americans travelling abroad and sticking Canada flag decals on their luggage and backpacks so that they don't get hassled. We may seem meek and mild mannered, but don't get us P.O.'d.

Last time you did, we sent you Celine Dion !!

So, instead of looking at US, who is this person? Could he be a BMW driving, live off my parents and can't stand anyone who earns a living? Or is it a she who's hunker boy friend said despite your money you can't hold a candle to my ma. This person is angry, and is not telling you why.

I would, sincerely, ask that you invite the angry person to share their views with the forum. Send them the link to the thread here and ask that they expand upon their superior view of life. I admit, my lifestyle is close to t he Clampet's, but by choice. I gave up the Little Ivy League University, decided the stress would kill me. I drive an old van that costs me $200.00 in repairs and about the same to insure others, if it dies, so be it. I have a permanent disability, because I raced bicycles, but have never taken a nickel form anyone to pay my medical bills. I live simple, but I generally sleep well at night. Our angry rager is taking and not giving.

I prefer to share. Can't afford a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, so I am going to give it to those who deserve a level share. I am volunteering to serve the homeless. Can the irate anti-wood person say they did anything for any one this year??????

Willhound said:
castiron said:
thechimneysweep said:

Remember.....We're bigger, and we're on top. If this was prison, you'd be our B!%(# ;-P

Actually, maybe it's an irate American posing as a Canadian? Sort of like Americans travelling abroad and sticking Canada flag decals on their luggage and backpacks so that they don't get hassled. We may seem meek and mild mannered, but don't get us P.O.'d.

Oh Willhound....that is good...I guess i won't be invited for Christmas dinner at Mama Dion's!!!

The mrs is a Quebecer...

Pardon me while I spit out my tobacco, I've got to meander out to the wood pile for some more kindlin'. Oh wait, my BMW is in the way.

If we are all that dumb and backwards we must be in the military also! (according to are friend senator John Kerry) maybe he wrote this

Could he be a BMW driving

uh oh...

But we are thinking about trading it in on a 4 wheel drive pickup. :)

Attachments

• PC030111.JPG
    PC030111.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 237
Willhound said:
castiron said:
thechimneysweep said:

I like that...but no more Dion please...Capt Kirk, yes, but no more Dion.....LOL....... actually, what I wrote was said by a caller (from Canada) to a US talk show and his opening line was "mega dittos from Canada...an empty apartment above a large party".

PS I love Canada and the open countryside....I lived in Mass for 4 years while I was in the Air Force and passed through Canada many times from NY (at the falls) and into Michigan through the Windsor tunnel or via the bridge!

OI I see my hillbilly critter welfare comments touched a nerve. Well, there's folks that need it true enough but what I see seems to be the hidden portion that everyone conveniently forgets about. Urban 3rd generation over sized welfare families make up a significant portion of our urban headaches. You see that on tv so its no surprise. What people don't realize is how many of the sorts of people to which I refer live in the country. Yes also they often manage to live much better than the hard working counterparts with marginal jobs. There is no denying that either. They pass the kids back and forth trading benefits around to maximize them, big daddy is nowhere to be seen either. Oh he is around sometimes but of course not married to the recipient as that would be counter to their maximizing of the benefits. It just goes on and on with additional goodies like free fuel oil so the rest of us can pay a surcharge of $5/ 100 gallons on top of all the other massive taxes. Of course you don't see many of the critter types cutting wood either and why would they with free oil. Everything is free just not top notch. Dirt poor ma be but not enough so they can't afford cigarettes and lots of em. Same with beer and other fun stuff. The great h
hussle of the 90's was Social Security disability. Many got moved off welfare to Clinton's credit but the true bums just moved to disability and in this world of ours a disability is in the eye of the beholder. Sorry if that offends some but I have seen way too much of it for too many decades. To those who needed it and got off again my hat is off to you unfortunately your numbers are on the thin side. Like someone once said, " It is what it is".

Give it a rest Driz. I'm not sure why you are so fired up about the whole situation frankly... there are better things to worry about in life. I would not trade places with anyone who is struggling to make ends meet no matter how much free "stuff" I received. Would you?

Just a little life history about myself, I was a drug addict in my 20s. I wasted lots of time, money and my health just to get high. I'm completely sober now, but I will never forget the struggles I went through... it took me a decade to recover. And yes, I did have every advantage growing up. If it was not for my strong moral values that eventually resurfaced and the support of my family I would be dead by now. Life has a funny way of being cruel at times, and certainly unfair. If you have not struggled in your life, count yourself as lucky. That's not to assume you have not struggled Driz, as I do not know you personally. Perhaps Driz now that you seem better off in life, your time and energy would be better served by actually trying to do something about the problem and help people rather than standing on your soap box looking down at those who are less fortunate.

Rural poverty and dispair has been around for longer than the urban kind, but Driz is right that they are essentially rooted in the same basic problem. He and I might disagree about exactly what that is, but I think that it has more to do with lack of economic opportunity than anything else. You can always point to some lazy slob abusing the welfare system to make your point. Reagan sure did. But I suspect that given the opportunity, most people--regardless of where they live--would better their lives and the communities they live in. I think that's in our nature.

For a variety of reasons, there ain't that many good jobs in most rural communities, and the opportunities are diminishing every year. One problem is that a lot of small-town and/or rural people are unwilling or unable to move someplace else to get an education or a better job. They want to continue living in the community where they were born and raised, and will work for minimum wage (or less) in exchange for being able to stay put. Sometimes they get exploited as a result. Another factor is globalization. Another one is a really poor business climate in some places, and few or no attempts to improve it by the people in power.

Let me just close by pointing out that rich people who have expensive estates in the country turn their noses up at the "poor locals," but benefit from them in many ways, not the least of which is a cheap labor pool that they can exploit. Somebody's got to rake the leaves and shovel the snow, work under the table for peanuts, etc., etc. These wealthy people have the power to improve the living conditions of their neighbors, but (in my opinion) too often they dominate local politics & the school board, etc., and do what they can to (subtly) perpetuate a cheap labor pool and a social system that they can feel superior to.

That's my rural economies rant for the day.

And then there is just that wonderful human characteristic. Most people just have to have somebody to look down on so that they can feel like they are better than somebody else.

It makes their personal shortcomings so much easier to live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.