Is this homemade firestarter a good idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever happened to using good ole fashioned newspaper and kindling?

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:

-Soupy1957

I have it sitting over there with my buggy whip on top of it. ;-)

Newspaper and kindling works fine with a true top down start up. I just got tired of messing with kindling when I can load a cold stove, stick half of a Super Cedar in the middle of the load and be off and running in ten minutes or so.

And those little hockey pucks take up a heck of a lot less space than kindling and newspaper. I'm old. I burn wood. I owe myself a little luxury every now and then. :smirk:

Since we don't subscribe to a newspaper (and this seems to be the wave of the future), I have to scrounge for it on recycling day.

karl said:
I tell you one wadded up WalMart grocery sack works great.

Must not be the plastic suckers they have here. Touch a flame to one of them and "poof".

The only thing the newspaper's good for is a couple of the comic strips, the Jumble, the Sudoku, and the Crossword Puzzles. All the rest is just ink to get all over my hands. I love my Super Cedars. Rick

soupy1957 said:

-Soupy1957

I still use newspaper and kindling Soupy . . . guess I'm still old-fashioned at heart . . . well that and the kindling is free . . . and I get a weekly newspaper.

NorthCountryWood said:
I make them from old candles and wood shavings/sawdust. Got plenty of both lying around. Melt, mix and spread on an old cookie sheet. Cut into any size you like.

Same here. A few tricks I've learned...line the cookie sheet with aluminum foil to avoid mess/damage to the cookie sheet, and just before they harden all the way use a pizza cutter to cut them to size.

All we use are pine cones got the third bag picked up last night.

I've tried a variety of things, but last year stuck with egg cartons/wood shavings and dust at the bottom of the woodbox/and wax.
Someone mentioned last year, and I found it to be true, that candles can frequently be found for free or almost free at the end
of garage sale season.

cre73 said:

Great Idea! How long do you let them dry out?

northwinds said:
I've tried a variety of things, but last year stuck with egg cartons/wood shavings and dust at the bottom of the woodbox/and wax.
Someone mentioned last year, and I found it to be true, that candles can frequently be found for free or almost free at the end
of garage sale season.

I use hand santitizer to start my fires. Works the same as the starter gel stuff for a fraction of the price. You can get a gallon pump bottle of the stuff for under $20 that will last a LONG time

cre73 said:

I usually pick some up myself . . . and use a few during the course of the year. A bit sticky, but they burn well . . . and I figure I might as well use them for something besides using them as skeet pigeons when mowing my lawn. ;)

70marlin said:
cre73 said:

Great Idea! How long do you let them dry out?

I just pick up the dead ones on the ground -- or at least the larger ones that have already opened up and are pretty dry already.

Status
Not open for further replies.