Safe firestarter in catalytic stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ben94122

Burning Hunk
Sep 4, 2017
California
I'm planning to get my first cat stove this summer, and wanted to make sure: Is it OK to use a wax-sawdust firestarter, or will the wax hurt the cat? I'm guessing with the popularity of Super Cedars it's not an issue, but wanted to double-check. We mix wax and sawdust in an egg carton, then use each individual egg cradle as a firestarter; we light the cardboard which ignites the wax and sawdust.

Also, is newsprint OK with a catalytic combustor? How about colored newspaper, like the funnies? Glossy newspaper advertisements?

BK stoves are safe with a SuperCedar. They used to ship with a SuperCedar and recommended them. Not sure if they still do?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-owner-of-blaze-king.53818/
Black and white newspaper should be ok, inks are now soy based. I'd hold off on colored and glossy paper. There may be metals in the dye used for coloring.

Reactions: ben94122
I graduated to a propane torch for rapid and clean fire starting. So much happier.

Especially in the shoulder seasons I can point the torch up into the flue to establish a brisk draft before torching the kindling.

It takes much less time to get to a clean burning fire this way.