Is this Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John B

Sep 26, 2012
Hey guys,

I've been processing my own wood for over 10 years but I have never given much thought to the species of wood and their specific seasoning time. I've lately become more interested after reading this site. I recently moved to a new property that seems to have a lot of Oak and Ive learned about how long it takes to season, so naturally now I want to ID the stuff.

I have here what I think is red oak, but not totally sure. Am I right?

Thanks

IMG_0200.jpg IMG_0201.jpg

Need more pictures and where you re located. Split it and provide end grain pics.

Both rounds from the same tree? A pic of end grain would be helpful.

Reactions: TreePointer
As others have stated, we need more pics:

- higher resolution pictures so we can zoom in on details
- butt end of logs
- splits
- any twigs with buds and leaf scars
- branches that show alternate or opposite configuration

Twigs with buds are best for determining species if you don't have attached leaves.

Right, the first pic looks like chinkapin oak, the second a type of hickory.

What the hay,, I think the first one with the thick bark is cottonwood. Not sure about this second one.

What the hay,, I think the first one with the thick bark is cottonwood. Not sure about this second one.
That definitely could be now that I’m looking again.

Reactions: Lakeside
That definitely could be now that I’m looking again.
That's why I asked if they were from the same tree. First one looks like cottonwood, second could be oak or hickory.

Sorry guys I am new at this. I will get more pictures. Thanks alot for the help.

One indicator that might separate oak cottonwood and silvermaple would be ring growth.
RedOaks would have 6-12 rings per inch
SilverMaple would have 4-7 rings per inch
Cottonwood would have 1-3 rings per inch

Cottonwood #1

Tulip Poplar #2

Opposite end of the spectrum from oak, but they do burn non the less.

Lefthand picture looks like chestnut oak, or chinkapin oak. The right one looks like hickory, maybe pignut hickory (it's obviously not shagbark.)

They do take quite a while to season -- 2 or 3 years. Red oak is the best of the oaks, and the best for kindling. All the oaks and hickories are real good firewood. I'm very partial to red oak and shagbark hickory.

I can see red oak leaves in one of the pictures.

Here are some pictures after I split a few pieces. Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 218
My favorite test for oak is to have a sniff in a fresh cut or split. It has an unmistakable sweet smell that's never confused with another wood.

If you're unfamiliar with it, have a sniff of oak boards at your local home improvement store. If you've been around a construction site that's working with oak (say, installing an oak floor), you'll never forget it.

It ain't cottonwood. That is a good hardwood, might be hickory, might be oak.

Reactions: Lakeside
The three split photo I am not sure of
The 2 split photo is red Oak you can see the ray fleck

Need some good end grain pics. Two split pics look like could be Oak, though.