Is this Pics tell real Jotul 118 B or not.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackasmask

Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Columbus, OH
Hello everyone.
I Had looking and thinking to get wood stove for over two years and now almost final decision made if this unit is right one.
Couple days ago I found this wood stove from craigslist post and look a like Jotul 118 B model but few thing is cannot be sure and kind of bother me.
I called him asked what model is and any crack or damaged? He said (no crack, more then 80% condition and Y.O.D.L.E? Something like it, not sure exact name...)
And I spent couple hours yesterday, another 3 hours read this site, tried to get some information of 118 B, finally I had read couple years old thread said maybe some 118 B is Made in Taiwan, not genuine Jotul? Then brought me up these questions.

1. At the picture I can see the legs, it looks like just L shape or square metal stick, totally different then other 118 B I found from here.
2. Door also seems to be doesn't have Jotul on above the damper, but all other pics have that.
3. He said there is no top or side discharge, only rear flue connector, and hard to verify from pics.
4. He said its 200lbs, he weighted, I cannot found any info for 118 B weights from here or other sites I went, But F118CB is 340lbs, what is make this big different?
Otherwise side view and others looks pretty much 118 B.

BTW I have looking for used or good price new Jotul for my 1500sf house with fit my budget for couple years and I think found good deals and he will hold for me till tomorrow noon.
His location is almost 3 hours drive to get, but if that is real one I willing to drive to there.

Is any Jotul expert here to tell me that is true Jotul 118 B or not before I make mistake?

Thank you for you guys and this site make me fun to learn new things and appreciate to share you expertise.

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,988
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,519
  • stove3.jpg
    stove3.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,147
  • stove4.jpg
    stove4.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,267
I'm suspecting not, the legs are not cast flared, the front is missing the Jotul name cast in the door and the little poem is missing from the upper front. Looks like a knock-off from the pictures.

Thanks for fast response, one other thing I forgot to wrote, dimension he gave me.
(30"l x 21"h x 14"w, door opening 6 1/2 x 8'' <<<legs 7">>> heating surface 12.13 sq ft. 5" dia exhaust flue, weight 200 lbs. will take up to 22" logs.)

I say it's a knock off. Not a Jotul.

This is a made in Taiwan stove, probably circa late 1970s. My father-in-law had one of these old stoves and I finally convinced/twisted his arm to upgrade it to an EPA stove. It leaked horribly and his house smelled of smoke. Granted, you could probably have put stove cement on the seams (he did, several times) but it is not what would be considered to be a well-constructed stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.