Is this Red Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
Have a couple pics of the wood I picked up today. Grabbed a bunch of mesquite last night, and it definitely isn't that. It also doesn't look much like red oak either. No real smell to it either. Also have the Google maps pic of what the tree looked like before it was cut down. It has a very reddish brownish tint to it but doesnt appear to be Osage. I even split a few(finally got my X27) Don't have a pic yet.

Screenshot_20220220-035519.jpg Screenshot_20220220-040314.jpg Screenshot_20220220-040249.jpg

I vote No.

Now that I've been researching more, I'm starting to worry that the mesquite I picked up last night is in fact NOT mesquite as I thought it to be. Could this be mesquite?

IMO it looks like callery pear (Pyrus calleryana), a popular ornamental landscape tree planted for its showy white flowers and fall foliage.
Wood looks right for pear: fresh cuts are a yellow-orange; and bark has a tight regular pattern.
Pear wood splits fairly easy, but kind of funky (not always straight and it has wavy patterns in wood). Split wood sometimes will have a blush color.
It's in the Rose family. It burns OK, not great. If I see some nice pear rounds I'll scrounge them.
Are those pics recent ? Still leaves on the tree ? Up north in Ohio pear leaves have long since dropped. Can you get a close-up of the leaves ? buds ?

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
My first thoughts when I saw the orange inside and the shape of the tree and the leaves also was Pear. I like it, take it whenever it is available to me.

The rounds made me think of cherry.

The rounds made me think of cherry.
Zoom in on the pictures and you'll see the bark is wrong for Cherry. And Cherry usually has redddish grain on the cutside with that whitish ring on the edge, when you blow up the pictures you can see this is orange all the way through. Plus there is a round on top of the one pile that is kind of "shredded" and that's what Pear does, it doesn't always split nicely and can break off and look "uneven".

Reactions: stoveliker
Let me a get a couple pics of splits now since I'm awake. I do distinctively remember it having a wavy texture and not splitting cleanly. Then again, it's my first time splitting so it could just be bad aim lol

This is the pic of the splits.....and funny I found a post that looks just like what I have. Dude said it was pear. These threads are always easy to find AFTER you know what it is lol hopefully this is some good to burn stuff.

Quick side note tho, this third and 4th pic is Mesquite correct? I was starting to think it was black walnut but idk. I see some mesquite around here is orange looking and then some is chocolate looking like this. Pics don't do it justice. Stuff is really really brown.

IMG_20220220_140619.jpg Screenshot_20220220-135152.jpg IMG_20220220_140855.jpg IMG_20220220_140909.jpg

First two pics (post #9) definitely looks like pear.
The last two pics look like black locust - big blocky bark.
I've never seen mesquite (other than in a bag of smoking wood), but bark in pic looks more like black locust than mesquite - VT Dendro - mesquite
It sounds like mesquite is typically small tree to shrub up to 25' max with poor form. Black locust is a tree capable of growing 70'+.

That's interesting. The bark does look VERY similar to black locust. However the sap and heartwoods I'm seeing and reading about tend to be on the yellowish side. This wood legit looks like chocolate lol when split it's even darker. Think black walnut but even moreso into the sapwood. And all the listings of mesquite around here have the same color scheme, just nowhere near as huge as mine. I'm talking 3ft+ in diameter. But mesquite as you've said I only see in maybe like 5-7" dia splits. So Idk. Unless I got some really brown black locust?

Pic of tree in post #12 looks like Siberian elm.
Tough to tell, but from this pic it looks like Siberian elm (Ulmus pumila) - VT Dendro - Ulmus pumila
* form and brushy epicormic sprouts. The wood of Siberian elm is brown.
Are you still send a close-up pic of the leaves from this tree ?

Reactions: Dfw245
No I'm not still there. It's about 2hrs away from me. Just wanted to make sure the trip is worth it. BTUs are BTUs but I wanted to know what type it was since it looks like some sort of black walnut and elm hybrid. And looking at pics it does somewhat look like Siberian elm. Wonder if that's native to southern oklahoma

Natives might call a Siberian elm a Chinese elm. There’s a distinction but my understanding is that the trees are basically the same. And I don’t think it’s native anywhere in the states. It was brought here because it grows fast. People says the wood smells like pee what splitting. I don’t really notice, it burns pretty good when given time to dry, it is less dense than native elms.

Definitely doesn't smell like pee lol has a very woodsy aroma. Not nutty. But, idk it's hard to explain. No off smell to it. It does seem rather easy to split at times....but some pieces are just stringy to all hell

Natives might call a Siberian elm a Chinese elm. There’s a distinction
When young both Siberian elm (Ulmus pumila) & Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) look similar at the nursery, but soon Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) begins to develop a beautiful exfoliating bark. VT Dendro lacebark elm
It makes a fine landscape specimen but can sustain damage from ice storms and can become invasive. Most in landscape & nursery industry to avoid confusion now call its other common name - lacebark elm.
Siberian elm also an exotic, is weak-branched and weak-wooded and easily succumbs to summer T-storms and winter ice storms.
It is considered a weed tree and seeds in as a volunteer even on marginal sites.
Regrding it smell, Siberian elm and other elms can emit a sour smell due to anaerobic bacterial infections of within the wood.
Siberian elm splits much easier than American elm, and it burns OK, but in IMO I wouldn't travel 2 hours just to fetch Siberian elm wood.

Came across these two posts on Reddit, they came to the same conclusion, Elm. Said almost a cinnamon type smell when splitting. One guy at the bottom of one of the posts even mentioned it looks like siberian elm, but he got down voted lol most of them came to the conclusion that these two pics look like red elm, though on this site we are leaning towards Siberian .. Never heard of Siberian elm but if u say it isn't worth a 2hr drive... Then I'm good. Let me add this though, even if it's free? Not worth the drive?

Screenshot_20220221-193804.jpg Screenshot_20220221-193727.jpg

even if it's free? Not worth the drive?
From my perspective I scrounge for wood in southwest Ohio, a region blessed with wooded and forested areas, so between neighbors, church, drive-bys, and work I don't need to travel far from home to find about 3 cords per year. A two hour one-way trip would seem kind of far for me unless I'd have additional reasons for a trip.
In southwest OH I run across more Siberian elm than slippery (red) elm. Slippery elm has better form, much larger leaves, and its buds are more pointed. Not sure, but wood probably burns about the same. VT Dendro - slippery elm

True. Though down here, it's full of pecan and oaks. Just, Texas seems to be full of face cords for $300 and it's not even seasoned. So traveling a little distance is almost worth it, almost. But being that it's elm and it's a pain to split most times and isn't even on par with red oak? I think I'm good on that.