Is this the next wave of technology in wood stoves ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
I was looking at Lennox wood stoves and came across this canyon st310 model:

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/stoves/canyon-st310/

On the webpage I saw this:

"Ceramic-fiber blanket utilizes technology developed by NASA that has 10 times the insulation value of firebrick, radiating heat back into the firebox, creating higher efficiencies and cleaner gas."

No firebrick!!! and a claim of 10x the reflective/insulating efficiency!!!

Anyone been reading up this new tech ?

Is this the next big thing to make stoves lighter and more efficient ?

Rated at 3500 sq ft!!!!

Pfftt..non-cat.
Might be fine for some but now that I have gone cat,I'll never go back!
I'm heating 2500sq.ft. at 24 hour load times right now.
When it was cold 12 hours.

HotCoals said:
Pfftt..non-cat.
Might be fine for some but now that I have gone cat,I'll never go back!
I'm heating 2500sq.ft. at 24 hour load times right now.
When it was cold 12 hours.

yeah im sold on getting a CAT too - I would not buy this junk either BUT Im wondering if the reflective blanket thing could replace firebrick.

If the blanket really works then stoves could get significantly lighter.

I have no idea about the" blanket"..but you never know.
You gota figure that blanket will cost more then the bricks.
I guess it could cut down on shipping some.
Wonder why they don't have a cat stove.

Can't wait to hear how that new hybrid(cat/tube) stove works out!

HotCoals said:
Can't wait to hear how that new hybrid(cat/tube) stove works out!

which new hybrid?

link/url?

that sounds interesting

Woodstock & Lopi both have hybrid tube/cat stoves coming out... any other companies have hybids coming out?

The stove uses firebrick for the floor and sides and ceramic fiber boards and blankets for the baffle just line 99% of the non-cats made. Including your 30-NC.

Welcome to the future.

I dunno if a lighter stove is a good thing. It seems like more mass would hold the heat longer. Of course a lighter stove would heat up faster so that might be a plus I guess.

The Country Canyon has been made out of Auburn, WA for quite awhile now. It's a solid heater, but but not exactly new tech, just new marketing by Lennox. PE stoves have the same ceramic insulation inside of their stainless baffle. NASA must have invented this stuff when? 1980? The ceramic baffle board might be newer.

"I would not buy this junk either"

Shhh don't tell anyone but apparently there are a lot of people heating their homes with junk out there.

This is not new. Many many non-cat stoves use the same blanket above their baffles. It is NOT "instead" of firebrick. There is still firebrick in all of the normal places. The Lennox (they bought out country years ago) stove is equipped with a single square of the blanket above the baffle only.

Take a look the xeoos Twinfire http://www.wittus.com/
It says it is 93% efficient.
If it had a bigger box, this would be a stove to have.

Highbeam said:
This is not new. Many many non-cat stoves use the same blanket above their baffles. It is NOT "instead" of firebrick. There is still firebrick in all of the normal places. The Lennox (they bought out country years ago) stove is equipped with a single square of the blanket above the baffle only.

I would not really even call it a blanket, just a thin piece of white "insulation like" material that sits on top of the upper firebricks, I actually took mine out and threw it away, to replace it cost $10 at the dealer

What would we do without marketing folks. They can really make things sound good at least.

There is NO firebrick on the top anymore on the Country stoves. Just the new fiber boards and the blanket on top of that. They use just the fiber boards on all of there EPA fireplaces also for years now and works really well. The boards actually glow red with a really hot fire. Seems to work well and the price didn't change by the way, ha.

Gary

Garjan111 said:
There is NO firebrick on the top anymore on the Country stoves. Just the new fiber boards and the blanket on top of that. They use just the fiber boards on all of there EPA fireplaces also for years now and works really well. The boards actually glow red with a really hot fire. Seems to work well and the price didn't change by the way, ha.

Gary

Most EPA secondary burn tube stoves are built that way.

Many are built that way. But many are not. Lopi, Regency and PE sell a lot of stoves.

"My baffle can whip your baffle. Nah. Nah Nah." :lol:

Love'em for what they do folks. Love'em for what they do. Be they non-cat, cat, smoke dragon or barrel stove. Just keep on loving the heat.

Well, unless you live downwind of some of the above or have to cut the wood for'em.

BrotherBart said:
Be they non-cat, cat...

Who hijacked BB's account?

Rais (Denmark) has, for over 12 years, been using insulation around the firebox that I'd call "sintered vermiculite." Very effective insulant, very low density, and very DELICATE, though you can get replacement material and hand-saw to fit.

For some time, firebrick has not been the only game in town. It's just cheap, simple and effective. Can take a hit.

Anything that accelerates firebox warm-up on startup, and temps while burning, boosts completeness of combustion. (Until up to temp, keep wood off walls.)

BeGreen said:
Many are built that way. But many are not. Lopi, Regency and PE sell a lot of stoves.
BG,
This thread and your statement caught my eye because my new Hampton H200 (Regency) seems to only have an intrigal SS baffle/burn tubes....nothing else up there like so many other stoves. As I researched the Hampton, that was one thing I wasn't to sure about. Having installed and burned it, I am no longer concerned though. The stove performs very well, easy to operate, and I am very pleased. Just wondering if you had any thoughts on how they got away without insulating the baffle? Thanks, Steve

BrotherBart said:
The stove uses firebrick for the floor and sides and ceramic fiber boards and blankets for the baffle just line 99% of the non-cats made. Including your 30-NC.

Welcome to the future.

I have seen fiber board but not the blanket

guess I just havent seen the guts of that many non cat stoves to realize its been here

SmokeyCity said:
BrotherBart said:

Welcome to the future.

I have seen fiber board but not the blanket

guess I just havent seen the guts of that many non cat stoves to realize its been here
Some of these guys are just know it alls! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.