Isle Royale Griddle Handle Modification?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulF

Nov 19, 2005
I would like my Isle Royale griddle handle to stay in place when I have raised the griddle and am dropping in new logs or stirring the coals. My handle fits loose enough that if I leave it attached in the griddle up position, it will fall if it is not exactly centered. Has anyone come up with a way to make it fit a bit tighter?

I do not leave the handle in place when the griddle is down, but I have to insert the handle, raise the griddle, remove the handle, do my work, reinsert the handle, lower the griddle, and remove the handle. I would like to eliminate having to remove it during the brief time the griddle is up.

PaulF

Sounds like a good idea. I don't top-load because front-loading is simpler, and the physical aspects
of front loading don't bother me.

One of the reasons I don't top load is that I also top exhaust. The handle bangs against the pipe (I hate that).

Hmmmm... how about lightly pack the "key hole" for the handle with small rope gasket?? It may provide enough friction to keep it in place.

msg deleted

PaulF said:
I would like my Isle Royale griddle handle to stay in place when I have raised the griddle and am dropping in new logs or stirring the coals. My handle fits loose enough that if I leave it attached in the griddle up position, it will fall if it is not exactly centered. Has anyone come up with a way to make it fit a bit tighter?

I do not leave the handle in place when the griddle is down, but I have to insert the handle, raise the griddle, remove the handle, do my work, reinsert the handle, lower the griddle, and remove the handle. I would like to eliminate having to remove it during the brief time the griddle is up.

PaulF
Our final stove decision came down to the IR or the Jotul Oslo. Had we gone with the IR, we would also have changed this handle behavior. I would have saved the smaller griddle handle from my old top-loading VC, and bolted it to the IR griddle instead. I think it would have been small enough to have adequate clearance to the stovepipe, and that handle was designed to live on the VC griddle all the time, from a temperature perspective. I wonder if you could find a suitable smaller handle in a hardware store, maybe something designed for cabinetry?

grommal said:
and that handle was designed to live on the VC griddle all the time, from a temperature perspective.

Handling the temps is not a problem with the cast and ceramic handle of the IR. The whole purpose of them being removable was that:
A: it keeps the handle cool to the touch
B: not everyone is going to use the top load feature. The handle can be removed for those that don't want it.

Jags said:
grommal said:
and that handle was designed to live on the VC griddle all the time, from a temperature perspective.

Handling the temps is not a problem with the cast and ceramic handle of the IR. The whole purpose of them being removable was that:
A: it keeps the handle cool to the touch
B: not everyone is going to use the top load feature. The handle can be removed for those that don't want it.
Absolutely true, but we found the removable handle to be awkward. When my wife was checking out the stove in the showroom, the handle slipped out of the hole three times on her, and the griddle slammed shut from a fair height with a loud bang. Right then she told me that if there was an IR in our future, it would have an attached handle like our old VC had. We always wore welding gloves when we loaded from the top (95% of the time) anyway, so the handle didn't have to be cool to the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.