Isle Royale too big? or maybe not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan B

Jun 14, 2010
Richfield Springs, NY

Hello Everybody,

I need advice on what size stove to get.
I've read extensively this forum and got some idea, but just can't make up my mind on which stove to get.

Here is my situation. I am looking for top loading stove. One of the dealers in the area has promotion of 25% off all the stoves on the floor. The only top loading stove on his floor is beautiful Isle Royal. This promotion brings the price of $2700 down to $2000 plus the tax credit. That sounds like an excellent deal to me.

I really want that stove, but from reading previous posts I am afraid I will get baked with IR. Below is my floor plan, what are your thoughts about getting IR? If not which top loading stove would you recommend?

I have read that Harman stoves (Oakwood and TL-300) have some drawbacks in their design. Is Lopi Layden will suite better?

The Drawing (sorry for a bad one) of my floor plan is below - I tried to paste it and it wouldn't come out well.
The house is range
D- where the doors are located
First Part of the house where stove will be placed (IR -location of the stove) is open floor kitchen and living/dining room is 920 sq ft

Then there are 3 doors leading to bedroom #1, #2 and hallway that takes to second part or the house.
I am hoping by keeping doors of 2 bedrooms open to have them warm from using the stove. I don't expect much warmth to get through the hallway into a second part of the house where I use electricity to heat.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks in advance

-----------------
/ /
/ Bedroom#1 /
/ /
/ 218 sq ft /----------------------------
/ D /
/----------------------------------/ D / / /
/ IR /--------------/ /
/ Hallway Library /
/ 920 sq ft Dining ----------------- /
/ / / /
/ Living Room / /D--------------------------/
/ counter / Bedroom#2 / /
/ / ---- / / /
/ / D 163 sq ft / Bedroom #3 /
/ / Kitchen / / /
/-------------D-------------------------------------------------------------------------- /

The Isle Royale is a serious heater that likes to burn hot. It might be a bit too much, especially in the shoulder seasons for the 920 sq ft space. However, if a fan is placed low, on the library floor, at the entrance to the hallway, blowing towards the stove, it's possible to establish a convective pattern that can distribute heat into the more remote areas. It would replace the cool air being blown towards the stove from the library, with warm air drawn through bedroom #1 by the looks of the diagram, assuming doors were left open.

Sounds like a great deal, how long are they running the sale? You don't always have to burn the stove with a full load putting out max BTU's and you can always crack a window if it gets too warm. Another option is to wait for Jotul's new top loader that's comming out this summer, it's suppose to be about the same size as the Oslo which may be a better fit.

Go big and as said, you can always run a smaller load. you'd be surprised how much heat will move around with just a small fan or 2.

Thanks everybody for your replies,

the store runs the promotion until they sell what they have on the floor, maybe they are closing I am not sure.

I am going to put a deposit or I will be kicking myself later. I have two ceiling fans in the living room and there is a ceiling fan in the library, maybe if I put a fan in hallway it will bring warm air into a second part of the house.

Thanks again

The experienced folks on here seem to always recommend putting fans so they blow the cold air back towards the stove/insert, giveing the hot air a way to circulate. I tried it and damm, it really works. In your case a fan in the hallway blowing into the DR would prolly be the thing to do. Good luck with it.

I think you will be alright with the IR. It will take you a bit to learn to regulate your burns, but I think it can be done in your lay out. I would go for it. That is a great price for a new IR.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I don't think the IR will be too big, but distribution of the heat will be your challenge. Fans are your friend.
Whoever likes to sleep cool should have dibs on bedroom 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.