Isle-Royale - Warped metal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

That is a nice looking stove even if she has seen the wood pile more than once.

java1080 said:
Some pics of my IR...............one good shot of the inside with the angle iron that holds in the rear firebrick.

Yikes... Mine is in worse shape than I thought now that I see those firebox pics. Had a bit of a tiff with the wife last night, so didn't get a chance to get pics done. maybe I'll get them tonight.

Side note - I like the enamel finish in that it stays a lot cleaner, but the shininess kinda gets to me. doesn't seem natural. My favorite thing about this stove is the classical design, and the cast iron look really adds to that aesthetic, IMO. That being said, I think your setup looks great with the mahogany.

Keep in mind it's only been in use for 6 weeks so it's still brand new. Actually when I was looking at it last night I think it's a "steel" firebox and then wrapped in the cast iron for looks. In other words I think it's the same or similar firebox as the steel stoves ie 4300, 5700, etc., but with fancier makeup. I don't know if other cast iron stoves are made that way or not........Jags might know

Nope. Shes a cast beast. Just has a couple of internal panels on each side to keep the wood/coals/heat where it belongs.

Didn't get any pics last night. Snow plowing came first. (darn snow)

I wasn't aware that the 5700 was a steel stove. Looked like cast to me.

Got a good 7.5 hours burn last night with big mound of coals left for restart. 75 down and 68 up when I turned in and 72 down and 65 up this morning. Air was only open about 15-20% I'd say. Wasn't sure on my stove top temps so I went and bought a rutland on my lunch hour. put in on stove and was surprised it was running at 600 with couple of good splits and air open about 75%. closed air down to half it slowly went down to about 450-475. Just curious what stovetop temp anyone else runs at. I don't want to rely too much on the temp, I know some say not to even worry with a thermometer. My old way of visually watching the fire and walking up to the stove and saying "Damn that's running hot" worked pretty well.

Oh Ok. Thanks Jags. I would say that before my temp readings i was prolly around 500-600 most the time. 600 makes it real toasty and I will prolly have to be there a lot when it gets cold. good to know it can sustain that temp. Is 700 a good max to shoot for, I couldn't find anything in the manual on it. I see also that we are both IT nerds. We missed the snow over here, how much did you get? Do you plow for business or just your own house/property?

Same as Jags. I think a little over 700 is fine if you're trying to heat fast or really hot, but I think 750 is a good max to really never go over. That's gettin pretty toasty.

Edit: I guess IT folks really like the IR. I'm a desktop tech, at work right now.

EDIT2: Jags, you have a cool chair.

java1080 said:
Oh Ok. Thanks Jags. I would say that before my temp readings i was prolly around 500-600 most the time. 600 makes it real toasty and I will prolly have to be there a lot when it gets cold. good to know it can sustain that temp. Is 700 a good max to shoot for, I couldn't find anything in the manual on it. I see also that we are both IT nerds. We missed the snow over here, how much did you get? Do you plow for business or just your own house/property?

I would guess that 700 should be tops for this stove. Simply my opinion. My setup can coast up to 700 without even working at it. Yeah, I'm one of those computer dudes. Been doing this stuff for lots of years. Got about 4 inches yesterday. Just plowing out my own stuff (gots lots of stuff).

I have a disease and I'm addicted to this forum, I know because of the following -

1. I check the forum before work related stuff
2. My wife knows who Jags is
3. Ever since I put the thermometer on the stove I've been texting my wife every hour to know stove temp and air control position
4. I think about wood and stoves A LOT!

There are many more......maybe we should start a thread on it

Status
Not open for further replies.