Issue with pellet stove venting for Magnum Baby Countryside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rough crowd. i can pull the plug on mine and the flame stays pretty active.

usually breezy here.
pellet stoves, when running do not draft, they are pressurized. when you unplug it, it goes from positive exhaust to whatever the environment allows. If there is enough temp differential it will draft. I really wish the word "draft" would disappear from the pellet vocabulary book.

Reactions: DexterDay
Sure gang up one me right away.

26' vertical 4" thru the roof near peak, mine drafts when power fails. :p

not trying to gang up...trying to de-mystify. Others will read what has been written and repeat...I'd just assume they repeat the right things. Much easier to learn things right the first few times than to have to unlearn and relearn later.

Hello Guys

Thanks alot, So it looks like the fixes are as follows:

1. Re-Do the venting and have the vertical rise inside.
2. Insulate and box in the existing venting.
3. Add alot more height to the existing venting.
4. Go straight out with a cap on the end! (Not the best but the cheapest!)

The outside air cools the venting and the exhaust gases this allows the ash (and other unwanted crap, think 'sote) to precipitate or condense out. Not what you want.

Also you didn't say anything about the existence or lack of proper rise in the horizontal sections of the venting or lack of plumb on the vertical that is all critical in allowing the exhaust to escape as fast as possible so it doesn't cool off.

Delta-T draft is exactly correct.

Both temperature or a pressure differences (the temperature causes a pressure difference to develop) can cause a draft.

Delta-T draft is exactly correct.

Both temperature or a pressure differences (the temperature causes a pressure difference to develop) can cause a draft.

Well Smokey
The manual does NOT recommend the outside vertical rise in then venting and in this case it really gets plugged up way to often!

I agree that temps around the venting play a role here and they do effect the natural draft.
So in this case where the exhaust blower and the pressure it creates is constant, then why would 3' of vertical venting INSIDE the house be so much better than 3' of vertical venting outside the house?

Well Smokey
The manual does NOT recommend the outside vertical rise in then venting and in this case it really gets plugged up way to often!

I agree that temps around the venting play a role here and they do effect the natural draft.
So in this case where the exhaust blower and the pressure it creates is constant, then why would 3' of vertical venting INSIDE the house be so much better than 3' of vertical venting outside the house?

Because it doesn't allow the exhaust gases time required to cool to the point crap condenses out. This is not directly related to draft.

So would an inside the house vertical rise push out more pellet dust to the outside air and not clog the venting as often beause the gasses do NOT cool until they are out of the venting?

Or does the pellet dust just more evenly coat the interior walls of the venting and not cause blockages?

So would an inside the house vertical rise push out more pellet dust to the outside air and not clog the venting as often beause the gasses do NOT cool until they are out of the venting?

Or does the pellet dust just more evenly coat the interior walls of the venting and not cause blockages?

Don think a bit about where that ash and crud heads to when it precipitates out, it is usually heavy enough to start down. This causes it to pile up in the tee or the bottom elbow (if no tee). It will also pile up in the exposed horizontal runs.

I have an up and out vent 3" and close to the limit. The ash piles up in the short horizontal run outside and in the tee, very little is in the vertical portion of the vent.

That vent run you showed pictures of does not appear to have a vertical portion instead it is backwards leaning, this acts as additional resistance slowing down the exhaust's ability to exit the vent before it cools below the condensation point likewise the apparent lack of a rise in the horizontal portions. This is not proper venting practice and leads to ash and other things ending up in the venting to cause trouble. Like all things ash related it is a vicious escalating problem. I get taken to task about multiple cleaning suggestions when people are having bad burns on here. Until your venting and burn are correct and you become consistent in your cleaning you'll have the same problem over and over. When dealing with venting issues you have to look at it when your venting and stove is clean otherwise the stuff in the plumbing just messes everything up.

The more ash you allow to deposit the faster it will deposit and the worst the burn will be this is a lather rinse repeat situation.

Please note pictures posted on here can sometimes be misleading due to the angles they were taken at, that is why I usually ask for further information.

Also note I'm not saying that making the out and up an up and out won't help, I'm just pointing out things about the current setup that concern me (changing these may be the cheapest and least disruptive option your friend has).

I haven't looked at the manual so I don't know if the straight out option is a viable option ( I do have a problem with that given the current placement of the OAK inlet, I'd prefer there to be more vertical separation).

Hi Smokey

Well the last time I cleaned it, the ash buildup was mostly in the Horizontal run going from the stove to the T on the outside of the house and in the horizontal part going to the exhaust head at the top end of the pipe. There was also ash in the cleanout cap. but the 2 horizontal parts blocked up the stove from operating all too frequently!

Thanks for going over this specifically, I want people to know this outside vertical venting is a really bad idea!

Hello

I just want to state here what the Magnum Manual says is not RECOMMENDED, it does have alot of Merit!

See Magnum BabyCountrySide Manual page 18 below excerpt I circled in Red!
click to enlarge and read what is NOT recommended here!

It states:
> > "Note: This type of installation is not recommended in cold climates unless closed in and properly insulated." <

Attachments

• MagnumBabyCountrySideVentingNoNo.jpg
    MagnumBabyCountrySideVentingNoNo.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 319
Status
Not open for further replies.