It’s a fine spring morning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
Too bad it is January.
Glad I had three cords of shoulder season wood this year.

Dune said:
Too bad it is January.
Glad I had three cords of shoulder season wood this year.
I hear ya there, Dune......I am just now getting to the.really good stuff in my stack (honey locust, white oak, elm, sugar maple) almost and I hate to use it! Where in the hell is winter?!?!

haven't even dusted off my XC skis this year...

I got up today and did not check the weather. So I loaded the 30 up. I could have sworn that the weather guy said it was gonna be cold today.

It is friggin 52 degrees outside and probably 100 degrees inside.... :grrr:

I really have to check the weather before I load the stove. :shut:

GAMMA RAY said:
I got up today and did not check the weather. So I loaded the 30 up. I could have sworn that the weather guy said it was gonna be cold today.

Gamma, I guarantee you that my wife is cursing me right now. I thought it was gonna be cooler too, so on the way out the door this morning at 6:00am I put some good white oak on........guaranteed it is around a hundred degrees in that house right now.....lol.... :ahhh:

GAMMA RAY said:

Absolutely. Keeping tabs on the projected temps has become part of the routine this year, since any given day could actualy be a winter day. Not likely though.

I wonder how climate change-deniers are justifying this to themselves?

GAMMA RAY said:

Me too. But my wife is 7months pregnant so she is loving the heat more than usual.

Its freaking strange.... Cold and rainy this morning and I'm home... but the weather said 57F this afternoon so I didn't light up the stove.

Right now its still cool (40) and rainy and I wished I had. But I bet if I light it now the sun will come out and we will bake.

I didn't have any shoulder season wood this year. My Black locust takes forever to get going with the reduced draft from this warm weather. I guess I have to make sure I bring home some garbage wood from now on.

Black locust definitely needs some persuading. Can you locate some palettes or carpentry scraps to help out? If not, try resplitting some splits into 1-2" kindling.

I gave in and lit up. Temp maxed out around 40 and is now at 39 and falling. Looks like the forecast of 57 was WAAY off.

I have resplit some of the BL. I was doing OK when it stayed in the 30s, but 40s and 50s requires very small stuff. It was burning great for the two days of single digits a couple weeks ago. Moral to the story; BL is not good shoulder season wood. I will have a better mix ready for next winter.

Had some fresh snow this morning but most of it is gone now. Stove was out when I got up and we haven't put anything in yet. Probably will soon though as it is starting to cool off a bit in here.

jharkin said:
I gave in and lit up. Temp maxed out around 40 and is now at 39 and falling. Looks like the forecast of 57 was WAAY off.

Yeah, the Boston forecasters are funny like that....they say it would be 45-50 today....well, that means 35 where I am, and 55 on the Cape :lol:

The weather prophet said in the twenties here today so I laid some dry Red Oak on the coals this morning and the outside temp is up to 36 now. Inside has climbed to 80 and the wife thinks it's just fine. I'm back out to the wood shop where it is a very pleasant 70.

Ironwood said:
The weather prophet said in the twenties here today so I laid some dry Red Oak on the coals this morning and the outside temp is up to 36 now. Inside has climbed to 80 and the wife thinks it's just fine. I'm back out to the wood shop where it is a very pleasant 70.

Hi Ironwood, welcome. I am a Tempwood user as well. Do you think your stove burns clean? I am starting to get interested in cat stoves, from what I keep reading about them here.

I altered (removed) the firebrick and I am not sure if it is still working right.

I'm not complaining. I have at least an eighth of a mile of sidewalks at work to shovel when it snows. Monday morning I had 2 inches of snow to remove over 1 1/2 to 2 inches of ice to break. I'm still sore. I don't care if it gets cold, but I hate snow!

Dune said:
Ironwood said:

Hi Ironwood, welcome. I am a Tempwood user as well. Do you think your stove burns clean? I am starting to get interested in cat stoves, from what I keep reading about them here.

I altered (removed) the firebrick and I am not sure if it is still working right.

Hello Dune, yes both of my Tempwoods burn very clean. I try to season my firewood two years at least. I have the firebrick still in both stoves. I have the original manual that came with the Tempwood and it recommends keeping the firebrick in place. I clean the ashes out every three or four weeks leaving a half inch of ash on the very bottom.

Anytime you want to send a bit of that heat this way please do! It was -20* last night, warmed up to -5* so far... supposed to be about that for the high.

-22f here still. you lower 48ers dont know what cold is.

Got that right. And I don't want to! :lol:

Its been a blessing and a curse for us this year I hate the warm air and want it to get cold. It has saved us but load of gas cost with all the stove problems this year however. I think my problem is my glass is half full and half empty it is so confusing!!!! AAAAAAAA :lol:

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.