It finally happened, I turned down logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Well, the EAB has created a boon of firewood here in SW Ohio and thanks to the little SOBs I had to have two trees taken down. One tree was well over 120' tall and the other was about 100'. My daughter can lay across the stump of the one and barely cover the entire length, she's 5'2". These logs would have been more than I want to mess with anymore, especially since I'm about 4 years ahead.

We found a company that removes the trees, but logs them and then sells the logs to a local mill. They then split the profit from the sale with you. The quote on both of these trees for removal was $1,400 (which was a steal since other quotes were $2,200-$4,800). My final cost was $1,070. I got a copy of the sales receipt so they were honest. Not to mention they dropped a third tree at no charge for me.

I did keep the smaller uppers which will be about 2 cords.

fv

Reactions: D8Chumley
So you turned down logs to save about 1 seasons worth of conventional heating cost if you paid the average tree service just to cut and drop. I think that's a win in itself regardless if you got wood or not.

I forgot to add that both were close to buildings, my house and an outbuilding. The only causality was a couple of limbs off a hickory which is now ready to be cut and split. The other was also inside a beech tree which they didn't harm.

fv

As someone who has stacked steel to extreme heights for 20yrs, I assure you the trees werent that height. 80' is a very big ash tree, 60' is the average top of the crown. Sorry, height is kinda my thing, being one to top things out.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
I think Ive been stacking cell towers for 20yrs, and I have yet to have a tree be over a 100' tower from Maine to Florida out to the Mississippi...

I think a lot of people need new tape measures... And google is your friend to find out where I got the 60' average... Or there is the site just for Ohio that shows the tallest trees in the state and what species, and if he did have 120' Ash trees, he should have submitted them for the records...

I think Ive been stacking cell towers for 20yrs, and I have yet to have a tree be over a 100' tower from Maine to Florida out to the Mississippi...

I think a lot of people need new tape measures... And google is your friend to find out where I got the 60' average... Or there is the site just for Ohio that shows the tallest trees in the state and what species, and if he did have 120' Ash trees, he should have submitted them for the records...

Thats hard work to stay in for 20 years! I've climbed a few dozen lattice towers over the last 10 years (wind energy industry, 18" face) and it takes a special kind of person to do that day in and day out. Most are between 260' and 310'.

Out here in Oregon 100'+ is common for fir trees.

It was taller than a hickory that fell a few years ago which I measured from base to tip at 110'. If you didn't measure it then you have no basis to get on here and tell me I was wrong. My property was a former sheep pasture and not in a subdivision. It has many very old trees, this one was well over 100 years old. Yes, I counted the rings as best I could and 100 years is an underestimate. I have another ash that, before it died from EAB, was 1/8" from being the largest circumference in my county. Big, old, turn of the century trees.

Anyway, the point of this thread was that I turned down firewood that I didn't want to kill myself on due to the size of it.

fv