It is crazy to let the stove go out in December

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The summit does the trick, typically 6 cord a winter. That's with a 8-9 month heating season, anywhere from Oct - June. Location of the stove has helpped, middle of the split level home right at the bottom of the stairs.

Unfinished basement with exposed pipes, no risk of pipes freezing here. An added bonus is that the Main bath is directly above the Summit, I have had many people ask if we have in-floor heat in the bathroom. Hardest thing about letting the stove go out this time of year for me is the amount of time it takes to reheat the house. It does well once it gets going but trying to heat up 2600 sq/f from cold takes a few hours, more of a thermal mass issue than a stove issue.
You and I are in the same boat for the most part, still trying to figure out what works best when I need the most heat in the morning (about 58 this morning with these cold temps), do you still have high flue temps, thought you did a couple of years ago.

The summit does the trick, typically 6 cord a winter. That's with a 8-9 month heating season, anywhere from Oct - June. Location of the stove has helpped, middle of the split level home right at the bottom of the stairs.
You need to add your location to your profile so we know what your climate is like..

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
No high flue temps here Oldspark. I had thought my draft was an issue at one point but after burning some truly dry wood this year my few issues were resolved. I have to agree though, takes some time for it to truly start giving up the heat. Still scared as heck to leave it burning anywhere above the L reading, I think it would melt!!!!

Canada some where I believe.
Thanks that's all I need to know.. Headed there right now to ransack his house and wood pile lol..

Ray

Ok, how do i my location?
Near the top of the screen where your name is hover your mouse over your name and select personal details..

No high flue temps here Oldspark. I had thought my draft was an issue at one point but after burning some truly dry wood this year my few issues were resolved. I have to agree though, takes some time for it to truly start giving up the heat. Still scared as heck to leave it burning anywhere above the L reading, I think it would melt!!!!
Now that makes me wonder what is going on with my stove, high flue temps and I have to give it some air to have a really hot fire, the chimney is about 18 feet (changed it out to metal) but I am just not happy with the stove when it gets really cold.

Near the top of the screen where your name is hover your mouse over your name and select personal details..
Got it thanks. Fell free to stop by anytime. If you are hear in the next couple hours I am heading out to cut some wind falls, could use the help, lol.

Reactions: raybonz
Got it thanks. Fell free to stop by anytime. If you are hear in the next couple hours I am heading out to cut some wind falls, could use the help, lol.
I forgot where you lived, I knew it was cold there though.;lol

That's better now I have a better idea of what your climate might be like when you post.. :) I would love to be out in the wood pile .. Have fun!

Ray

Sitting at -1c right now with a wind chill of -7. House is sitting at 22c from a cold start this morning.

-11F here now with a wind chill of -22, winds are supposed to switch to south west tonight so in for a chilly evening.

It got hot here yesterday, made it to a balmy 8::F of course then it snowed.
After that it went back below zero.
Been running the stove above 500::F to keep the kids from freezing.
Even with that I still need to run a space heater in the morning to take the chill off the floor.
The TL300 can keep the upstairs around 70::F as long as it is above -15::F.
Though I do have to admit when it gets into the double digits below zero I don't get 12-17 hour burns.

-11F here now with a wind chill of -22, winds are supposed to switch to south west tonight so in for a chilly evening.

Oldspark, I'm wondering what your weather is like now. Not looking great here but at least no storms. Only a couple inches of snow and wind blew most of that off the trees today. I need to cut wood this week for a neighbor but it sounds like it will be a cold, cold time for wood cutting. Wasn't counting on this until next month.

I`ve been burning since the beginning of October. It was an early start this year. The burns in October were on and off, with some days burning, and others not. But when November rolled in, that was it. We`ve had a few bouts of -25C with Wind chill factors of -30C lasting for a few days. I Wonder how much wood I`ll burn this year. Last year, we burned till the beginning of June! I`ve got 5 cords of standing dead pine and spruce in the wood shed. I hope I have enough. I have 3 other cords of dead wood piled up near the barn, and 3 other cords of unseasoned pine, maple, ash in the back lot. If I have to use some of my other dead pine, it will seriously put a dent in my wood supply. Oh well.....another excuse to go cut some more!

For sure. Never stop cutting more! I'm still not convinced that this winter will be colder than last year overall.

For sure. Never stop cutting more! I'm still not convinced that this winter will be colder than last year overall.
I hope not! Last year was a cold one here. I only had 5 face cords of wood to burn and ran out early (I had read on this site that people usually burned from 3 to 5 cords per winter) I never thought you guys were talking about 4x4x8. What an awakening that was for me! So I`ve had to build up my wood pile. So I cut standing dead pine and standing dead spruce for this winter and the next, and am working on seasoning maple and ash for the following years.
Even with the lack of proper wood to burn last winter, I still saved $750 from my electrical bill. I am hoping for a mild winter this year to see if I can cut it even further.

That must have been a very rude awakening! But you still saved some valuable dollars.

If possible, get on the 3 year plan. The benefits of this are tremendous. Shoot even bigger if possible. We've burned lots of wood that was in the stack for 7 year or longer. Burns super great and no chimney problems to be concerned about either.

That must have been a very rude awakening! But you still saved some valuable dollars.

If possible, get on the 3 year plan. The benefits of this are tremendous. Shoot even bigger if possible. We've burned lots of wood that was in the stack for 7 year or longer. Burns super great and no chimney problems to be concerned about either.
Yes, that was what I was aiming for. Overall, I cut 11 cords this year. I`m hoping for 12 for next year. Then I`ll be good to keep it at 5 per year.

Oldspark, I'm wondering what your weather is like now. Not looking great here but at least no storms. Only a couple inches of snow and wind blew most of that off the trees today. I need to cut wood this week for a neighbor but it sounds like it will be a cold, cold time for wood cutting. Wasn't counting on this until next month.
Still is cold, -27 wind chill this morning, supposed to have a high of about 25 by Thursday so looking forward to the t shirt weather.;)

Ouch. That is coming our way now. Today it got to 30 and really felt like a heat wave. But the temperature fell all day.

-9 to -11 for highs of around zero for the next couple of days. Stopped to check a local lake by me yesterday, already had 11 inches of ice. Crazy to see cars out on the lake the first week of december. Sad part is everytime it has warmed up snow has fell and then the tundra returns.

I am scratching my head wondering if I can even get to splitting two cords of ash that are frozen and under a huge snow drift. Super thankful to have two solid years of dry wood put up in the corn crib.

Stay warm everyone.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.