1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

It smells?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by RandyG, Jan 17, 2012.

1. RandyG

RandyG Member

Loc:
    Central Fla
    My In laws installed a gas fireplace last winter and basically have been unable to use it much do to the fumes it produces :eek:hh: . It is a ventless unit and I know this may be the problem, but is this normal with a ventless unit or is there a setting that can fix this? Maybe add a vent somehow?Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Yup, ventfrees have a smell to them. It is pretty distinct. I wouldn't recommend them in a small area or a very tight house. You can't vent them. Basically, think of it this way-you are venting the exhaust from burning the gas into your home. We have one as a backup to our woodstove since we have no other heat source, but our Cottage is NOT very tight (leaky windows, doors). I have noticed that running the little air purifier I have actually helped reduce the smell even more-I am not using it for that though, it's for my shed-o-rific dog and dh's mild allergies.
  3. RandyG

RandyG Member

Loc:
    Central Fla
    Thanks, yea I figured nothing can be done, they picked it up pretty cheap at a yard sale and thats probably why the other folks were getting rid of it. I quess they will have to crack windows and open doors...
  4. eclecticcottage

Loc:
    WNY
    I would make sure the logs are installed properly and it's burning clean (the less yellow the flames are the better with these). After that, well, it's just how they are.
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Hopefully, they've got a couple of CO detectors
    plugged in throughout the house....
  6. eclecticcottage

Loc:
    WNY
    DOH! Forgot to mention one of the most important parts of owning a VF stove or fireplace...Yes, most certainly get some CO2 detectors!!