It's a good thing............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
It's a good thing I don't have to spend all THIS amount of time to get a fire going every morning............I'd quit burnin wood for SURE!!

-Soupy1957

It might take me a few minutes to get the fire going, but not like that.
Put in a couple pieces.....wait, put in a little more.....wait, .....what?!

If I have to spend more than a couple minutes, it's too long.

Ok, the flint and steel part I'll give him credit for. That is a decent 'old fashioned' skill to have. But I'm not impressed with his skill after that point. That ball of paper should have been much better used to get his tinder burning - those little sticks must not have been too dry or something because it took way too long to get going there. I was taught to use wood shavings (instead of paper) and larger pieces of shavings up to the sticks - always seemed to keep a steady build of fire going. Cut sticks are like split wood - they catch faster than rounds.

In any case, I agree - I wouldn't spend that much time getting my stove going each time I do a cold start either.

Looks like another case of someone trying to show an "easy" way to get a fire going but doesn't really have the skills to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.