It's easy to roll a Garn around...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
I always wondered how easy it would be to move a Garn around. I have a 1500 and when it was delivered, I had an all-terrain fork lift set it in the Garn barn. Very sweet. But of course, I wanted to move the unit about 1' forward to give myself a little more room behind the Garn for boxing in the iron pipe inside insulation. I had plenty of room in the front, so why not.

I placed a 2x6 stub in the fork lift "box" under the firebox and used a floor jack to lift the unit up. The entire front end of the unit came up very nicely. I placed a length of 4" SCH40 PVC under the Garn, spanning both skids. This was on top of my 2" of extruded polystyrene. I then did the same thing to the backside of the Garn, again staying under the firebox.

Up on these two lengths of 4" PVC, it was trivial to roll the Garn around, even on top of the insulation. I could just push it.

So, if anyone is considering a Garn but they fear getting it in place due to lack of easy access for heavy machinery, it will roll very nicely on 4" PVC pipe.

I used 2" pvc and pushed by hand to it's final position

This report says more about the (surprising to me) strength of PVC drain pipe than how easily a heavy piece of equipment rolls on a cylinder.

You should have taken bets before this, you would have had my money!

Status
Not open for further replies.