It's More Than Just Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke Stack

Nov 23, 2013
Central Massachusetts
Over the past several months one of my little guys has been right along the side of me; scrounging, cutting, bucking, splitting, stacking and burning. This evening, the two of us were goofing off in the shop, where the stove is, with the new 'unbreakable' indoor NERF basketball hoop. Here's the moment of impact on my thoughts after he hit a nice shot from in front of the stove:

"Nice shot, buddy."
"Man, this is fun, huh, dad?"
"You bet it is."
"You know what, dad?"
"What's up?"
"You and me, we earned this heat."
"You're damn straight we did, son."

At that moment I almost shed a tear of joy. What more can be said?

I guess I sent my son on his path as an IT Tech. We have always had a computer from the late 1980s on. At one time I knew my way around DOS and Wordperfect pretty well. In high school, he was getting poor grades in English - not because he didn't do the work but the teacher couldn't read his handwriting. I got him started with typing them out on the computer. Can you guess what his Bachelor of Science is in? And, yeah, he's left me in the dust with his computer skills.... ;lol

He just turned nine. The first thing he does after school is go split some wood. We're going through a bunch of standing dead ash and now he's fascinated with the ash borers inside. He loves bugs, too.
My boy (Pictured ) is 7-1/2 . Loves cars and trains. And everything outdoors. Savor every minute as they grow up too fast.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I guess I sent my son on his path as an IT Tech. We have always had a computer from the late 1980s on. At one time I knew my way around DOS and Wordperfect pretty well. In high school, he was getting poor grades in English - not because he didn't do the work but the teacher couldn't read his handwriting. I got him started with typing them out on the computer. Can you guess what his Bachelor of Science is in? And, yeah, he's left me in the dust with his computer skills.... ;lol

That we me as a kid, I learned DOS and Wordperfect from my dad, and started typing out my homework by 5th grade (which really irritated my teachers). I followed in Dad's footsteps and became an mechanical engineer, but having a pc in the house at a young age helped make me the default local IT guy to help everyone in my group before they go to the "real" IT guys.

Thanks to the OP, I remember rushing home as a kid to spit wood for my dad, and now I heat my house the same way. Hopefully I'll have a son one day to share similar memories with.

Status
Not open for further replies.