It's official, end of season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
103 locally today. All time record for Seattle. Likewise for the overnight temp and not a whole lot cooler tomorrow. We've had less than .25 inches of rain in about 80+ days.

It's too hot to even stack wood. But I have full 16+" rounds, unsplit of what was green cherry last fall that is thoroughly checked and looks dry as hell. When it drops below 85 I might split some to see what it's like inside the rounds. Guess it is time to clean out the stove. (And boy am I glad I installed the heat pump!)

Well heck BG. If you had bought a cat stove you could run it low enough to cool off the house. :lol:

If it makes ice cubes I want one!

I talked to friends in Eagle Creek/Estacada, Or last night. They said it was 104 !!

109 in Medford today. Watch your water supplies.

Your summer sounds like our summer last summer and the summer before before that. Hot all the time. Ugh.

This year it has only gotten over 90* a handful of days.

We have had lots of rain and cool weather and 2 tornados. :ahhh:( I live right by the mountains and tornados usually happen further east of here - like 10-15 miles east.)

I do not envy your hot weather. On the other hand I do envy your seasoned wood. I am beginning to get a bit concerned about my stacks as winter seems to be approaching more quickly than I had anticipated.....This forum ruined my old idea about what dry wood was and now I want REAL dry wood :exclaim:

In Colorado or Arizona I would say, hot summer, eh? Here, it's definitely wazzup?! weather. This is the driest & hottest season I've seen in this area since we moved here in '76.

Me thinks your weather headed south east and we got what your normally get this time of year. It is currently 53* here. Has to be a record low for this time of year....(I prefer the cooler temps. so I am not complaining - just weird.)

You got our snow last winter so I guess this is the way the weather gods do pay back. ;-)

Keeps one on ones toes!

I imagine you will welcome winter when it arrives.

BrotherBart said:
Well heck BG. If you had bought a cat stove you could run it low enough to cool off the house. :lol:

Keep it up Alice just keep it up. :smirk:
92 here today and didnt have to run the CAT stove to cool it down BB. :coolsmile:
N of 60

I think my wood stacks qualify as kiln dried now. 106 today. Not as bad as the time I drove deliveries in Vegas with no a/c.

north of 60 said:
92 here today and didnt have to run the CAT stove to cool it down BB. :coolsmile:
N of 60

Ya know, when N of 60 is 15-20+ deg. warmer than I am, something is a-skew. We haven't had summer yet. Mild and wet. Today, low of 54F/high of 76 with t-storms. Currently 62. This ain't the July I am used to.

But I do have to say - BG - You can keep that 100+ stuff.

And to think that here in Michigan we had one day of 93 way back in June. We also had 8 days in June with temperature at 80 or above. July has seen 8 days of 80 or above with the highest being 83 degrees. All but 3 days of July has been below normal. It was chilly this morning too.

But you guys can keep those hot temps. We do not want them.

Amen, Dennis! This has been the nicest summer in the history of the Midwest. We've only tuned the air on 2 days and that was back in early June.

Please take some of our rain, here in the Hudson Valley its been raining non stop since June 1st, give or take a few days in between, and as far back as May on the weekends!! Last night in Kinderhook NY over 6 inches of rain on top of saturated soils!

Our weather up here in New England has been cool and wet almost all summer. This past week has been hot and humid but prior to that it has been mainly in the 50's at night and the 60's during the daytime. I hate to complain about all the rain because I feel bad for the folks down in the southern parts of the US that are being baked alive and have not seen rain in months.

Looks like it got up to about 80 in Hell, Mich yesterday. That means Seattle was definitely hotter that hell! Supposed to go up near 100 again today, then gradually cooling to the mid-80s by the weekend. No rain in sight for the next week. Welcome to Palm Springs, WA.

Wonder if all this sunshine has caused a spike in suicudes up in the Pacific Northwest?

BG,
I think we've swapped weather. We've had one of the coolest, wettest summers on record. It's almost August, and I'm scraping the bottom of my mower deck before each mowing. I'm usually blowing dust at this point in the mowing season! It's been warm and humid all week...first blast of hot weather all season....and I'm already counting down the days until ski season. :lol:

Global warming is coming to an area close to you!
Where is Al Gore now?????

D'oh . . . all summer long it's been cold and rainy up here. This week it finally gets hot and muggy and what happens . . . there is hardly any water left in my pool . . . the other day I went for a dip in the pool . . . must have knocked out the vac hose since the next day all the water in the pool had pretty much siphoned out of the pool via the vac hose which had one end in the water and one end dangling outside of the pool. Oh well, it could have been worse . . .

firefighterjake said:
D'oh . . . all summer long it's been cold and rainy up here. This week it finally gets hot and muggy and what happens . . . there is hardly any water left in my pool . . . the other day I went for a dip in the pool . . . must have knocked out the vac hose since the next day all the water in the pool had pretty much siphoned out of the pool via the vac hose which had one end in the water and one end dangling outside of the pool. Oh well, it could have been worse . . .

Glad you didn't go running out in the dark and dive in. :ahhh:

Here in NW Missouri it has been very comfortable darn near all summer. Today it was below 75 degrees all day and we've kept the air off and the attic fan on. I personally would like to see July and August outlawed due to the temperatures normally. If it keeps this up, I may not have to move to Minnesotta when I retire!

Hasnt hit 90 in CT so far this summer. Its only like the third time I think they said in the history of record keeping it hasnt hit 90 by end of July. It was 90+ here once or twice in April of this year. Wacky!

It's been a relatively cool, wet Summer here in Metro NY and that is just fine with me. I don't like the hot humid Summer weather we typically get around here. Cooler (despite the humidity) is better. It's been a nice break in my opinion. I can't wait for the (hopefully) cooler and dryer Fall weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.