I've created a monster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
Connecticut
My dad grew up in a house where the only source of heat was a wood cookstove in the kitchen, so he has a sentimental attachment with wood heat. He never had a stove in this country, but to make a long story short late last winter I got him a stove for his house. I supply him with the wood, I showed him how to use it and all was well. I stopped by his house today and the glass on his stove was so black I thought it was out. He had it damped all the way down to almost a smoulder. That wasn't the worst part, I start poking around the firebox and there is a giant unsplit round in there. As I split every round, down to beer can size, I was confused. "Oh that", he says, "the guy across the street cut down a nice oak tree last week and gave me some wood". Last week! I have enough wood to keep us burning forever. I tried to explain to him that the wood needs to season. That's when I saw the monster come out. He informs me that they never seasoned their wood in the old country more than a few months. Any more than that was a waste, as the wood burns too fast. Same logic behind damping down all the way. I made him promise to not use the new wood and to keep the temps up to avoid problems. He made me a half-hearted promise. My dad is 80 and more than a little stubborn but otherwise of sound mind. I'm starting to think that I've made a mistake. Sorry for the long rant, but I know you would understand me.

"...but I know you would understand me. "

Heck, I am a sixty year old wood burner. I understand where both of you are coming from.

Hearth.com mediation. What's the hourly rate? It is nearly impossible to convert alot of old school burners. I fight with it every day. People coming in wanting to replace the 5cu.ft. firebox beastly box stove and being surprised at how much the woodburners have evolved.

That sounds familiar. We used to go out with my Dad in fall and winter growing up sometimes with snow on the ground to cut down trees, split, and burn it for winter. Used to go through 9-11 cords, I remember asking my dad about the hissing noise wood made while it was burning (I was probably 7), and I used to like to sneak and open the door to watch the steam blowing out the ends after he'd reloaded. We had a chimney fire before I was born which damaged the flue and his flue is much smaller than it used to be after repair.

Only in the last 5 years or so has my father caught on. Now he cuts the trees down early fall and collects the wood in spring so it has all summer & fall to dry so, there may be hope for you. My fathers wood collecting years are pretty much done at this point as his balance is awful and he has trouble lifting 10 lbs now. I get a bit nervous when he comes to visit wielding a chainsaw to help me. One of us is going to lose a body part or something one of these days with him manning the device but I just try to keep out of his way and enjoy working with him like the good ol days. He just can't seem to visit without fixing or working on something... I've realized over the years that's his special way of telling me he loves me. You can teach an old wood burner new tricks sometimes but don't expect them to admit it!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Dylan, thank you for your kind words. I'll just have to keep a close eye on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.