1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I've finally done it

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by rdust, Mar 25, 2013.

1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I said I'd never sell any of my firewood. Well today I sold my first Michigan "face" cord. I can't stand the idea of selling a "face" cord but you have to sell what the customer wants. ;lol

60 bucks for a 1/3 cord of well seasoned ash(c/s/s spring of 2010) this time of year is a good deal imo. :)

Ever since I got a cat stove I've cut a cord + out of my yearly usage so if I want to keep cutting/scrounging I figured I'd sell a couple cord off to make some room. If I sell a couple cord I will still be 4 years or so ahead.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I sell a little and give away a little (family and donate 2 truckloads to my Sons Boy Scout Troop every year)

I ain't gonna get rich, but like you, I to have more than I can burn in a few years. It puts a few dollars in my pocket and its a hobby that's healthy for you (cutting/splitting/stacking/loading into truck/ unloading and stacking/ etc)
  3. CHeath

CHeath Member

Loc:
    Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
    I would gladly pay that after all the work and storage time. No to mention all the clean heat that will provide.
  4. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For sure, I'd go broke selling firewood. I have a lot more than 60 bucks worth of my time in it. They guy who bought it gladly paid and even said "I used to process my own wood so I know how much sweat this took to make".
    Backwoods Savage, ScotO and DexterDay like this.
  5. wingsfan

wingsfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Jackson,Mi.
    I live in an area with a few campgrounds and near a lake, where out of towners have summer homes. I sell my not so good wood to the campers and the lake people. I keep it stacked , with a price sign on it, and sell it on an honor system .In three yrs. only been jipped once. I sell half face cords for $25 and it helps pay for the wood that I get from the tree service..The campers come back a lot because the campground sells their wood for $70 a face cord.
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I have no interest in selling wood, but after watching a few racks around get emptied out constantly, I might. They are a face cord divided up into three $20 sections and four $10 sections. I'd consider it for $300 a cord, and not have to do much extra work. The $10 boxes are 3-4x the size of the bundles sold at the grocery store for $5.99.

If there was a campground nearby, I'd be rich. I bought some in Ohio last summer from a guy who sold A LOT of it to campers. When I backed up to the old, gray, weathered stack, he gave me a ;)
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Sell it before it rots (SIBIR) ;) LOL

Good way to get some pocket money, some new chains & other tools.
    More work than the money you'll get, but "Making space for more wood processing" is the important part :)

Your well seasoned dry wood should sell at premium prices. $180 / cord seems cheap compared to here.

Was any pain felt as the wood left? :oops:
    Applesister and zap like this.
  8. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    It's not worth selling wood around here. A guy a few miles away is selling white ash for $100.00 / cord. I'm thinking of buying some to save me some work. I haven't actually stopped and looked at it so who Knows... lol
  9. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

I will be honest the wood was well seasoned but it surely wasn't the best in my stash. The stuff I'm willing to sell came from a big ole ash that had a lot of twists so the stove is hard to pack tightly when using it. I'm not wiling to sell the nice straight stuff. ;)
    Backwoods Savage and Beer Belly like this.
  10. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Well everything I wanted to sell is gone. I delivered a full cord to a guy after work and sold the rest as "face" cords. I had full cords listed at 150 but this guy wanted it delivered a good distance(50ish miles round trip). I told him 200 if he wanted it delivered to cover my fuel and some drive time, I was hoping he'd say no thanks and I'd totally understand but he said sure "no problem". I took it to work with me in the morning so it wasn't bad, he was only 8 miles or so from my work.

I think I'm going to use the money I made to start gathering supplies to build a wood shed.