1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I've finally done it

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by rdust, Mar 25, 2013.

1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I said I'd never sell any of my firewood. Well today I sold my first Michigan "face" cord. I can't stand the idea of selling a "face" cord but you have to sell what the customer wants. ;lol

60 bucks for a 1/3 cord of well seasoned ash(c/s/s spring of 2010) this time of year is a good deal imo. :)

Ever since I got a cat stove I've cut a cord + out of my yearly usage so if I want to keep cutting/scrounging I figured I'd sell a couple cord off to make some room. If I sell a couple cord I will still be 4 years or so ahead.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I sell a little and give away a little (family and donate 2 truckloads to my Sons Boy Scout Troop every year)

I ain't gonna get rich, but like you, I to have more than I can burn in a few years. It puts a few dollars in my pocket and its a hobby that's healthy for you (cutting/splitting/stacking/loading into truck/ unloading and stacking/ etc)
  3. CHeath

CHeath Member

Loc:
    Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
    I would gladly pay that after all the work and storage time. No to mention all the clean heat that will provide.
  4. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For sure, I'd go broke selling firewood. I have a lot more than 60 bucks worth of my time in it. They guy who bought it gladly paid and even said "I used to process my own wood so I know how much sweat this took to make".
    Backwoods Savage, ScotO and DexterDay like this.
  5. wingsfan

wingsfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Jackson,Mi.
    I live in an area with a few campgrounds and near a lake, where out of towners have summer homes. I sell my not so good wood to the campers and the lake people. I keep it stacked , with a price sign on it, and sell it on an honor system .In three yrs. only been jipped once. I sell half face cords for $25 and it helps pay for the wood that I get from the tree service..The campers come back a lot because the campground sells their wood for $70 a face cord.
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I have no interest in selling wood, but after watching a few racks around get emptied out constantly, I might. They are a face cord divided up into three $20 sections and four $10 sections. I'd consider it for $300 a cord, and not have to do much extra work. The $10 boxes are 3-4x the size of the bundles sold at the grocery store for $5.99.

If there was a campground nearby, I'd be rich. I bought some in Ohio last summer from a guy who sold A LOT of it to campers. When I backed up to the old, gray, weathered stack, he gave me a ;)
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Sell it before it rots (SIBIR) ;) LOL

Good way to get some pocket money, some new chains & other tools.
    More work than the money you'll get, but "Making space for more wood processing" is the important part :)

Your well seasoned dry wood should sell at premium prices. $180 / cord seems cheap compared to here.

Was any pain felt as the wood left? :oops:
    Applesister and zap like this.
  8. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    It's not worth selling wood around here. A guy a few miles away is selling white ash for $100.00 / cord. I'm thinking of buying some to save me some work. I haven't actually stopped and looked at it so who Knows... lol
  9. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

I will be honest the wood was well seasoned but it surely wasn't the best in my stash. The stuff I'm willing to sell came from a big ole ash that had a lot of twists so the stove is hard to pack tightly when using it. I'm not wiling to sell the nice straight stuff. ;)
    Backwoods Savage and Beer Belly like this.
  10. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Well everything I wanted to sell is gone. I delivered a full cord to a guy after work and sold the rest as "face" cords. I had full cords listed at 150 but this guy wanted it delivered a good distance(50ish miles round trip). I told him 200 if he wanted it delivered to cover my fuel and some drive time, I was hoping he'd say no thanks and I'd totally understand but he said sure "no problem". I took it to work with me in the morning so it wasn't bad, he was only 8 miles or so from my work.

I think I'm going to use the money I made to start gathering supplies to build a wood shed.